Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2010, 03:19 AM

Default Re: Avid aquire Euphonix...more control surfaces

Don't think of Euphonix just in terms of those little controllers in the Artist family. They've been making large format stuff long before they came up with that line.

http://www.euphonix.com/pro/music/index.php

But it may well be the Artist Series gear such as MC-Mix that interested them most.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Just another distraction from the Protools issues that need to be addressed by AVID. Sorry guys, I see no indication that AVID will give PT the attention it needs..

Maybe.......in fact, I really do sometimes wonder if Avidesign has a death wish..............but What if the "issues" (mostly LE related like ADC) are in the works of being addressed and released? We all know that's gonna close a lot of the gap between LE and HD. Not all, but quite a bit. And if so, they're gonna have to have something else in place if they want to keep their higher end market......well, higher end.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:02 PM

Many times the buying company takes the technology they don't have, Supports what they have to and cleans house securing more market share. We like to think it is about us but it is really about $$$$

We will have to see.I don't know enough about Avid to really know. What is their history?
Old 04-13-2010, 11:43 AM

I just won an MC Control from GCPro. It hasn't arrived yet but I sure hope it interfaces well with my system. Looks like just what the Dr ordered.
64GB RAM/1TB
ProTools 2020.5
MOTU 828 MkII
Genelec 8020/7040A
Glyph GT050Q
Novation SLK MkIII
www.YourSessionBassist.com
www.soundcloud.com/davedemarco
Old 04-13-2010, 01:02 PM

FWIW I had seen a video of their controllers a while back. Seem to be really nice. Now that they are under the AVID umbrella I'm sure they will become better supported/integrated into PT. And maybe this is the next step in a more modular version of PT. However I'm still not holding my breathe.
Old 04-13-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Just another distraction from the Protools issues that need to be addressed by AVID. Sorry guys, I see no indication that AVID will give PT the attention it needs..
Agreed.

Hey Digi...erm, I mean Hey Avid,

Your current products don't work very well. Maybe instead of continuing to expand your product line, you should work on making the products you currently sell work better. Just a thought.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:42 AM

I don't agree. They bought euphonix. There are some really bright minds. Hope they will use them for pro tools too. If yes, we can only win.
Yes, I'm optimistic.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:08 PM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
Agreed.

Hey Digi...erm, I mean Hey Avid,

Your current products don't work very well. Maybe instead of continuing to expand your product line, you should work on making the products you currently sell work better. Just a thought.
That is exactly our intention, as well as being more 'forward thinking' in our product offerings. This acquisition is part of a broad range of changes occurring here and I think you'll be seeing some very good things coming down the pike...
Old 04-15-2010, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamasdragon View Post
I don't agree. They bought euphonix. There are some really bright minds. Hope they will use them for pro tools too. If yes, we can only win.
Yes, I'm optimistic.
Uhhh... you do realize that Avid is no longer developing Pro Tools and have offloaded the development of the software to a third party company called Global Logic based in Eastern Europe and SouthEast Asia, right?

http://www.globallogic.com/index.shtml

These guys are the ones actually making protools now for the most part with a skeleton crew left at what was once Digi to oversee the development. After Avid fired over 300 people from Digidesign and M-Audio, they pawned off the workload to Global Logic in a "strategic" move to save money... A move which has been and will continue to cripple Pro Tools, while offering Avid the financial luxury to purchase Euphonix.

Most likely once Avid takes whatever technology it wants from Euphonix it'll do the same thing to them. CEOs have a funny way of always following the same M.O. eventually, even though the brands/names change...

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 04-15-2010, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by O.G. Killa View Post
Uhhh... you do realize that Avid is no longer developing Pro Tools and have offloaded the development of the software to a third party company called Global Logic based in Eastern Europe and SouthEast Asia, right?

http://www.globallogic.com/index.shtml

These guys are the ones actually making protools now for the most part with a skeleton crew left at what was once Digi to oversee the development. After Avid fired over 300 people from Digidesign and M-Audio, they pawned off the workload to Global Logic in a "strategic" move to save money... A move which has been and will continue to cripple Pro Tools, while offering Avid the financial luxury to purchase Euphonix.

Most likely once Avid takes whatever technology it wants from Euphonix it'll do the same thing to them. CEOs have a funny way of always following the same M.O. eventually, even though the brands/names change...
That is the most disturbing thing I have read on the DUC in a while...