Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 08-05-2022, 11:16 PM

Default Suggestions for marking drop in and outs ? When Recording in DP

Hi

i was wondering if anyone found a solution for the following task.

Would like to use Destructive Punch but still be able to see where the punch in and outs where - afterwards.

I tried with a midi Track and put it in Record simultaneously - but that is not frame accurate.

Any Suggestions

Best Regards

Luigi
Old 08-07-2022, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Suggestions for marking drop in and outs ? When Recording in DP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi_audio View Post
Hi
i was wondering if anyone found a solution for the following task.
Would like to use Destructive Punch but still be able to see where the punch in and outs where - afterwards.
I tried with a midi Track and put it in Record simultaneously - but that is not frame accurate.
Any Suggestions
Best Regards
Luigi
since nobody else has answered you, I'll have a go . . .
I'm not totally clear on your workflow, but I'm guessing you're punching on-the-fly in Destructive record mode on a pre-striped track, and you want to re-examine your punch points after-the-fact.
What about having another dummy blank audio track armed every time, and after examining the master track in/out points that you punched - you could either delete the dummy or increment the playlist.
You'd finish up with a bunch of useless blank audio files, but at least you could wipe them all out at the end of your session.
Old 08-07-2022, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweakhead View Post
since nobody else has answered you, I'll have a go . . .
I'm not totally clear on your workflow, but I'm guessing you're punching on-the-fly in Destructive record mode on a pre-striped track, and you want to re-examine your punch points after-the-fact.
What about having another dummy blank audio track armed every time, and after examining the master track in/out points that you punched - you could either delete the dummy or increment the playlist.
You'd finish up with a bunch of useless blank audio files, but at least you could wipe them all out at the end of your session.
Destructive Punch is different that just Destructive Record. If the OP really means DP then the tracks need to have a pre rendered audio file already existing on the track. PT wants to know the DP length and makes those files accordingly.

Your method would work if it was only Detructive Recording. In that case the OP could also make a dummy audio tracks with blank regions groups for his punch length. Then they would know the exact IN and OUT points. I suspect the OP is working PEC-DIR style and wants to know where the punch happens on the tracks.
Old 08-07-2022, 03:45 PM

I see. I've never needed or used either.
So what about "pre-striping" a parallel blank track. Set that track to being fed from a bus which is receiving an oscillator feed from another aux that is generating either pink noise or a 20k sinewave.
Always Destructive Punch into both music track and reference track.

You would at least then be able to have a visual and audio reference as to the actual punch points (no region boundaries of course).
If the OP is doing it that frequently where such a proposition is impractical, then I suggest changing the workflow to QuickPunch, and then consolidating once everything is finalized. At least then any erroneous punches could be fixed, crossfaded, tabbed to, etc etc.
Old 08-07-2022, 04:58 PM

Your sine wave method would actually work well. A strip silence of that “oscillator“ record track would then show the punched areas. Since it’s unclear if the OP means DP or DR and hasn’t responded to any of these posts it’s might be safe to say they’ve moved on. Also, I’m not sure how necessary it is to go back and check DP tracks. If you’re working in PecDir style you should be monitoring off the playback signal, not the input signal. That way you would hear any discrepancies before and after the punch.
Old 08-07-2022, 05:43 PM

the only problem would be if he needs to keep punching into the previously punched area, but he could just pull the clip gain fader to -infinity each time on the ref track - and punch away.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 08-07-2022 at 06:19 PM.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:19 AM

Hi All

Thanks for you input

i definetly meant "Destructive Punch" with pre-stripped Audio.

And i was thinking in the same direction as Tweakhead - but i would like to be able to exactly identify the "borders" - not only "where" .. since it might be a constant overlapping.

I was thinking to refine the oscillator-idea with some kind of "trigger" or via sidechain - but have not investigated further

Best Regards

Luigi