Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-31-2018, 01:25 PM

Default Basic Recording Beginner

Ive read many threads and watched tutorials but can't seem to get Pro Tools to record. Thought I had it recording but then wouldn't play back or I couldn't hear anything. I'm familiar with Logic Pro but don't have a Mac any longer so thought Id try Pro Tools. I have the newer version yearly subscription. Any advice is appreciated.
Old 03-31-2018, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Basic Recording Beginner

Please start at "help us help you:" link at the top of the forum page
Old 03-31-2018, 03:53 PM

Get Pro Tools to play back a simple pre-recorded audio file before you do anything else. Create a stereo audio track in Pro Tools and drag and drop a know good MP3 or similar audio file onto that track. Press play. Do you see or hear anything happening? Do you see Pro Tools track meters move? If not fix that problem. And yes when you post asking for more help you need to provide lots more information about what you have and are doing as explained in the link in the previous reply.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:03 AM

I think we all had the same problem the first time we opened Pro Tools. Hang in there.

Reading a 1500-page manual is not a good way to get your head around the basics of PT. I'd really totally super-suggest buying a book about Pro Tools for like $20. It's much faster than looking around the internet, and I still open it up once in a while even though I've been using PT for years. Totally worth it!
Pro Tools Studio
www.studioaix.fr
Old 04-03-2018, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismeraz View Post
I think we all had the same problem the first time we opened Pro Tools. Hang in there.

Reading a 1500-page manual is not a good way to get your head around the basics of PT. I'd really totally super-suggest buying a book about Pro Tools for like $20. It's much faster than looking around the internet, and I still open it up once in a while even though I've been using PT for years. Totally worth it!
There's the PT101 courseware book that'll take a rank beginner through to a finished session. I don't know if it's been updated for PT12 as the last one I saw on Amazon.com was for PT11. It won't have all the goodies that's in PT12 but you don't need that when starting out.

QAPLA!
Old 04-04-2018, 04:45 PM

Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to order the book. I did add an MP3 track and it played back perfectly. I tried to record and I can tell its recording but the volume is way to low. Can barely hear it. I'm using an M Audio fast track sound card usb audio interface. Any suggestions are very welcome.
Old 04-04-2018, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightrner21 View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I'm going to order the book. I did add an MP3 track and it played back perfectly. I tried to record and I can tell its recording but the volume is way to low. Can barely hear it. I'm using an M Audio fast track sound card usb audio interface. Any suggestions are very welcome.
You tried to record what? Guitar? Vocals through a microphone? A keyboard synth?

Like somebody said take a look at the 'help us to help you' link that's at the top of every page. We know nothing about your system other than you're using an MAudio Fast Track and it's USB. There's some excellent people here but without further info we're just guessing and wasting time. There's no such thing as TMI (too much information) that can be given when asking for help.

QAPLA!