Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 11-19-2012, 12:05 AM

Default Re: How to Nudge on Macbook Pro?

Just discovered that you do not need to be in COMMAND FOCUS MODE for this. you can simply use (CONTROL + PERIOD or CONTROL + COMMA) for nudging forward or backward. I was having same problem with mac book pro. Berklee suggested. Hope this helps
Old 11-19-2012, 09:18 AM

Because it was mentioned earlier, I need to say that the USB extension keypad isn't always the ticket, because ProTools doesn't see key combinations correctly from them. It wants to see the command key and the plus-minus whatever key coming from the same hardware source. I was going through this trying to work in a hotel room, thinking I could just add a USB numeric pad. It recognizes single-key transport commands from the pad, but won't recognize any modifier combinations. Frustrating.

I'm doing everything on my laptop now in clamshell mode at home, so I've got a full external keyboard working, and everything's a go.
Old 06-19-2013, 08:12 AM

Hello, everyone.

I've just found out how to nudge, and also how to control grid values and nudge values from a macbook keyboard. (ctrl+opt+plus and ctrl+cmd+minus)

First of all, you have to download keyremap4macbook. It will also help you with the numpad commands such as 3 for punch in, 7 for metronome, using the fn key.
But it doesn't cover the keypad plus and minus signs (althought it says it does).
Afterwards, you have to create a custom XML configuration file so you can type fn+plus sign on the keyboard and it will remap it to the keypad plus sign, which is the one that triggers nudge related functions.

Here's an example, althought it maybe different in other keyboards, since my keyboard is spanish.

After you've created the xml file, in keyremap you can load the xml file and the new configurations will show up on top. No need for a external keypad.

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<root>
<item>
<name>Fn Keyboard + to Keypad +</name>
<identifier>private.swap_keyplus_and_keypadplus</identifier>
<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::BRACKET_RIGHT, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::KEYPAD_PLUS</autogen>
</item>

<item>
<name>Fn Keyboard - to Keypad -</name>
<identifier>private.swap_keyminus_and_keypadminu s</identifier>
<autogen>__KeyToKey__ KeyCode::SLASH, ModifierFlag::FN, KeyCode::KEYPAD_MINUS</autogen>
</item>

</root>

Hope it helps!
Old 02-19-2014, 05:31 AM

Hi, anyone knows how to transpose midi notes without a numeric keypad -instead of ctr+ (-/+)?
Old 12-03-2015, 09:04 PM

bump!

quick question… i'm using a MacBook Pro with Pro Tools 10. when i have Link Timeline and Edit Selection turned on and also use Keyboard Focus Shortcuts, i can nudge my clips using the < and > keys. when i have Link Timeline and Edit Selection turned off, so i can make a selection to loop, then click on a region and try to nudge it using the < and > keys, it nudges the loop selection, but does not nudge the region i have selected. Strange. does anyone know how to do this? i want to be able to select a section to loop and have that section keep looping, while i go into different audio regions and can nudge them around. seems easy enough. i must be missing something? appreciate any and all help! Thanks!
Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebkillen View Post
Just discovered that you do not need to be in COMMAND FOCUS MODE for this. you can simply use (CONTROL + PERIOD or CONTROL + COMMA) for nudging forward or backward. I was having same problem with mac book pro. Berklee suggested. Hope this helps
I have to use CTRL with my < > buttons to nudge too..

WHY IS THIS?

How can I go back to using < > buttons without CTRL

Thanks
Old 12-09-2017, 10:12 AM

Hi everyone, I think i have found a huge flaw in pro tools here.

From what I can tell, there is no actual clip nudging possible. Man oh man I hope I am so wrong, as this may have totally killed the program for me.

I checked many topics, videos, and of course the shortcuts manual. What seems to be available, when it comes to nudging a whole clip forwards or back, is "nudge play later or play earlier". What it's actually doing, is not nudging the clip, but the time selection bar at the top of the arrange page, or the "loop playbacK section if one has loop enabled.

So, if the link timeline and edit selection is *enabled*, THEN, you can nudge the clip forward and back in time, but it is also nudging the timeline selection with it.

if you disable link timeline and edit selection, and create a timeline selection of your own, then select a clip to nudge within that timeline, it can't do it. It's only nudging the timeline and not the clip, which is crazy.

Surely there has to be a workaround for this.. this is the most elementary basic daw 101 stuff here, any daw can do what I need.

So, for example, I am trying to get a part in time with something else, and am nudging forward a sample at a time. But because the part i am trying to align this audio clip with is midi, i need the playback region to actually be the midi's clip bounds. And i want to nudge the audio clip itself whilst keeping playback looping within the midi clip bounds. Can't be done. It's driving me crazy.

I can't believe I am going to have to open up logic for basic nudging here to align these two parts. If i have playback looping every time with the apart i am actually nudging, the midi isn't playing back from the correct point itself, it's coming in halfway through a note, and it's throwing the timing of the midi to begin with. This is crazy.

*PLEASE* tell me there is a way to nudge a clip in pro tools without affecting the timeline selection. Please.

EDIT: ok, i have worked out, it is indeed impossible to nudge a clip in pro tools without nudging the timeline selection. However thankfully there is a workaround.
Start playback of the region loop you want to be playing back whilst you nudge, and then click the clip you want to nudge and start moving it. Even though the timeline selection follows that clip and your nudging, the playback region remains at whatever you started with, until you stop playback. Then if you were to hit playback again it would start at wherever the nudged clip starts.. So, it's a good enough work around. Cheers

EDIT2: I like to correct myself when i am wrong, and i discovered today, that it's only using a laptop keyboard that you can't nudge the clip per se unless it's linked with timeline selection. If you have a numeric keypad, you can indeed do it with just plus and minus. I have learned so much today watching key commands videos and using a numeric KP with pro tools for the first time. WOW, the difference! Just.. WOW!

Last edited by TNM; 12-17-2017 at 01:47 AM.
Old 03-14-2018, 01:39 PM

if you click on that A Z button and select your volume in SLIP then the , and . will nudge all by themselves, and then moving out to the adjacent keys**- m and / will nudge by the next larger increment!***kind of cool...
Old 02-08-2023, 03:56 AM

Updating here for 2022 Pro Tools...
1) Select "Link Timeline and Edit Selection" in upper left controls
2) Select the AZ box (the Command Focus), so it's yellow - in upper right of tracks area of edit window
3) Use < and > to nudge right or left the amount you've selected in the nudge in the control panel at top of page