Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2003, 04:06 PM

Default Rode NTK for less, AND with a free Rode NT3?

Well, I found a Rode NTK microphone, which I have never ever heard a bad thing about. Anyway, I foundit for the regular $400, but I found one dealer offering it with a free Rode NT3. Has anyone used this microphone? If so, that's an awesome deal. Is it worth going to buy from this specific dealer for this cause?

Another thing, I have the Rode NT1000. How does it compare to the NTK? Thanks all.
Old 11-13-2003, 04:47 PM

Default Re: Rode NTK for less, AND with a free Rode NT3?

Hi spicy

The NTK is deinitely a lovely mic. In my humble experience it gives vocals thet "Sinatra - in your face thing" which for me works best on male vocals (not only sinatra style little bit of high end roll off usually doesn't hurt to get rid of the sibilance, but this still leaves a very natural sound.
I've used NT3s on overheads and on piano, which doesn't say a lot but I would consider having a pair of them in case you want to do things like that.
Rode are IMO a serious company making great products´ (usual disclaimer.. I don't work for them

Oh yeah before I forget, try the the NTK as a kick mic in the blanket tunnel igloo ... kdunk
Old 11-14-2003, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Well, I found a Rode NTK microphone, which I have never ever heard a bad thing about....
Now you will... I bought the NTK after reading one too many rave reviews, it's a decent looking mic and it says 'tube'...... I find the NTK to be extremely hyped in the 5k region, I had some succes with it on dull sounding voices and some acoustic guitars but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. In fact my AKG C414 sounds way 'warmer' than the NTK.
Don'rt believe the hype and listen for yourself....

Andi
Old 11-14-2003, 02:28 PM

Try out the new version of the Rode NTK......the K2

Nick
Old 11-17-2003, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Well, I found a Rode NTK microphone, which I have never ever heard a bad thing about....
Now you will... I bought the NTK after reading one too many rave reviews, it's a decent looking mic and it says 'tube'...... I find the NTK to be extremely hyped in the 5k region, I had some succes with it on dull sounding voices and some acoustic guitars but I'm not sure I'd buy it again. In fact my AKG C414 sounds way 'warmer' than the NTK.
Don'rt believe the hype and listen for yourself....

Andi
You may have a defective tube. the mic is very warm, definitely the equal of a 414. we've got two fo them here, and had some problems in the PUS, which was similiar to what you descrive you are getting. replace the tube, and if the problem still exists, contact rode. they are great at repairs, and fixed outs even though it was out fo warranty for no charge.
Old 11-17-2003, 12:19 PM

Quote:

You may have a defective tube. the mic is very warm, definitely the equal of a 414. we've got two fo them here, and had some problems in the PUS, which was similiar to what you descrive you are getting. replace the tube, and if the problem still exists, contact rode. they are great at repairs, and fixed outs even though it was out fo warranty for no charge.
Well, thanks for the tip, I'll try it although I'm doubtful that my NTK's got a defective tube.....The mic is dead quiet and seems to work as it should. As I stated before, I find the NTK useful for certain applications: I got a great, mellow sounding Guild acoustic guitar, couldn't make it fit into mix with either a KM 184 or the C-414....the NTK works great because of it's pronounced presence 'spike'. I know it's all subjective but I read quite a few posts on other forums with people talking about the brightness of the NTK.
Anyway, it's surely worth a try, any tips on what brand/kind of tube to get?

Andi
Old 11-17-2003, 06:07 PM

I love my NTK for male vocals, acoustic guitar and it recently sounded great on tenor saxophone as well.

The mic isn't designed to be or marketed as a "flat mic", so I don't understand why anyone would be surprised by the boost at 4-5k.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:01 AM

Quote:
The mic isn't designed to be or marketed as a "flat mic", so I don't understand why anyone would be surprised by the boost at 4-5k.
It's not about being 'flat' or not, obviously you want 'character' in a tube mic. My claim is that the NTK is a decent mic that is overhyped (sonically and yes, marketing-wise) I bet it wouldn't be half as popular if it sounded the same but wouldn't sport tubes or such decent looks. Again, for the money it's a great buy but as always, you get what you pay for. Anybody who has heard a great vintage tube design like the Neumann U47 or modern recreations like the Soundelux E47 knows what I'm talking about.....but as you know those babies will set you back a few grand. 'Vintage', 'Tube' etc. are such easy baits, especially in the semi-pro market.
P.S: I'm still interested in knowing what replacement tube to get for the NTK.......

Andi
Old 11-18-2003, 05:01 AM

i have the older model NTV, I think its a great mic (plus mine came with the case/shockmount etc.), also have delt with Rode and they DO give great support. I've found that when used on vocals they tend to bury nicely into the mix. since the NTK is step forward from the NTV I guess it'll be a better mic!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:26 AM

[/QUOTE]
Anybody who has heard a great vintage tube design like the Neumann U47 or modern recreations like the Soundelux E47 knows what I'm talking about.....but as you know those babies will set you back a few grand. 'Vintage', 'Tube' etc. are such easy baits, especially in the semi-pro market.

[/QUOTE]

If you ask me, that sounds like hype. At the end of the day what really matters is which piece of gear gets the job done whether it costs a few grand or a few hundred. I've recorded vocalists using Neumann, Telefunken, and other very expensive mics and in some cases, after a blind listening test, it was decided that the NTK tracks were the keepers. Maybe we all don't own a Neumann, Telefunken or Soundelux mic but I think most of us have heard them and some of us have tried them, so I don't think it's necessary to make yourself a member of some exclusive club to prove your point. Most of the mics out there that are available for under a grand I'm not a fan of but the fact is that Rode is making some great mics that hold up to the "big boys" at a fraction of the cost.