How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2013, 06:56 AM

Default Keyboard control of Virtual Instruments

virtual instrument plugins.

I am at a point in my ever growing understanding of PT's and I want to add to same by implementing the use of virtual instrument software plugins. Can I use my Yamaha keyboard to do this? I don't want to use MIDI piano roll style. I want to be able to select a virtual instrument from a list of same installed in my computer, (Windows 7, 32 bit, Pro Tools 9.0.6), and then record the sound of the virtual instrument by playing my keyboard real time. Is this even possible? Please pardon my ignorance of virtual plugins. I've always stuck to playing real time but I am finding a need for more realistic instrument sounds in my recordings and some of the samples in my keyboard just don't get it! It's old like me. Thanks for any assistance.
Old 05-18-2013, 07:20 AM

Default Re: Seeking info on use of keyboard control of,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post

I am at a point in my ever growing understanding of PT's and I want to add to same by implementing the use of virtual instrument software plugins. Can I use my Yamaha keyboard to do this? I don't want to use MIDI piano roll style. I want to be able to select a virtual instrument from a list of same installed in my computer, (Windows 7, 32 bit, Pro Tools 9.0.6), and then record the sound of the virtual instrument by playing my keyboard real time. Is this even possible? Please pardon my ignorance of virtual plugins. I've always stuck to playing real time but I am finding a need for more realistic instrument sounds in my recordings and some of the samples in my keyboard just don't get it! It's old like me. Thanks for any assistance.
What model of Yamaha keyboard do you have?
If it doesn't have a USB out, you can get an inexpensive midi hub (like a MidiSport), run midi cables to the hub, then USB from the hub to your computer.
The most hassle free way to do what you want is to get a midi controller keyboard with USB. One cord. Done.
Such devices can be had for $99 and up, depending on the functionality and number of keys you need (M-Audio, Novation, Korg, etc.).
Old 05-18-2013, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Seeking info on use of keyboard control of,

Quote:

you can, but you will find it easier to record the midi data of your keyboard instead of the vi audio. it will ALL be heard and recorded at real time. you could then tweak any notes or whatever you want in the piano roll (even though you state you dont want to!) or just leave it and never touch it. or you would output your instrument track to an audio track and record it, then you could delete the vi instrument track when done.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 05-19-2013, 05:36 AM

Default Re: Keyboard control of Virtual Instruments

Thanks guitardom & ejwells. currently I just plug my keyboard straight in to Pro Tools on to a mono track. But, like I said I want better, more authentic, real sounding instrument tracks. Now, back to my ignorance problem. I first download the plugins, then set up a track, (instrument or other, ?, and then???? Please don't lose patience with me. I'm really trying to understand this procedure. ej. I am not in mystudio right now and can't recall the mod. number of the Yamaha. It's about 10 years old. purchased at Guitar Center. full sizekeyboard, practice piano style.
Old 05-19-2013, 08:11 AM

Terry,
I am using a 20 year old keyboard (Roland W-30 Workstation) as a Midi controller to trigger virtual instruments (primarily Xpand). The Roland doesn't even have USB connections, I don't think USB even existed back then. The great thing about using virtual instruments is your initial performance doesn't have to be perfect. You can fix timing errors or incorrect notes with your mouse after the fact. Easy to change a major chord to a minor, seventh, etc., by dragging a note here and there. Once you get the hang of it, you will love it.

Digi 002 rack , Command 8, Behringer ADA 8000, Tascam M-320B Mixer, Alesis Monitor Two Speakers, Vintage and Modern Tube Amps, Fender American Strat, 1973 Gibson SB-450 Bass, Epiphone Les Paul Traditional Pro, Roland W-30 Keyboard, Preimier XPK Fusion Drum Kit.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Thanks guitardom & ejwells. currently I just plug my keyboard straight in to Pro Tools on to a mono track. But, like I said I want better, more authentic, real sounding instrument tracks. Now, back to my ignorance problem. I first download the plugins, then set up a track, (instrument or other, ?, and then???? Please don't lose patience with me. I'm really trying to understand this procedure. ej. I am not in mystudio right now and can't recall the mod. number of the Yamaha. It's about 10 years old. purchased at Guitar Center. full sizekeyboard, practice piano style.
hehe.. I am about a month ahead of you on this issue as I just got started messing with VI myself. I am NOT a keyboard player so the whole MIDI/VI stuff fairly well blows my mind. My wife is a keyboard player and although this stuff blows her mind too, at least I have keyboards to play with.

Her newest is a USB Yamaha with weighted keys and the others only have midi connections (thanks for the tip about the MIDI- USB connector. I didn't know that existed. Now I can keep one of her unused keyboards in the basement permanently).

Anyway, when you do hook it up through the USB port, you will find it so ridiculously easy that you'll wonder why you didn't do it all along. You plug in the keyboard (I have found that my system prefers the keyboard to be on and connected before I turn on the computer and launch PT - I don't know why, but out of order and it won't find the keyboard). Then you open an instrument track, place the VI plugin on the track as if it were a reverb etc.. Then start looking for the sound you want. You should have sounds right then and there. It's that easy. Have fun!

Old 05-19-2013, 06:00 PM

Hi Terry,

I would suggest having a look around in the Virtual Instruments section of the DUC. There is some great info in there for Midi beginners.

There's no doubt you will have some frustrating moments getting Midi going and using it to it's full potential but it's well worth it in the end.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O
Old 05-20-2013, 05:41 AM

Thanks graveleye. I am not a keyboard player per se. I am a guitarist but I am learning my way around my keyboard. I play by ear and I just hear the parts in my head that I want to play. I never learned the technical part of music growing up. Now I wish I had!
Old 05-20-2013, 08:34 AM

To surmise, run a midi cable from the 'midi out' on your keyboard to the midi in on your midi interface. You don't need to use 'midi in' or audio out on your keyboard if you just use the sounds from your VI. Create and instrument track with Xpand or the B3 plug in.
Press the record button on the track(arm the track) hit record and go.
Press the midi merge button on the transport so you don't lose previous midi recordings.
Also, If you have sliders on your keyboard, they can control some parameters in various plugins.
Many let you right click over a knob that waits for you to assign a controller from your keyboard. That controller assignment is usually learned and recalled every time you use it. You can record any movement from your keyboard controllers if you have them.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:48 AM

ahh so you don't need the keyboard to be USB to make it work? You can just use the midi hookup? Cool,