Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2009, 11:26 AM

Default G-Drive problems

I recently purchased a "G-Drive" 500GB external Hard Drive from G-technology because it had an officially sanctioned ProTools logo on it, and I was told that there are countless ProTools users using the drives.
I know that ProTools LE (using a 002) won't work with a 1TB drive, so I got the 500GB. I can not record to or playback or edit my projects stored on this drive. I get error codes "-9060" and "-9131." I then reformatted the drive and partitioned it into two 250GB partitions. No luck. The playback just hangs, with the play button blinking endlessly. As soon as I change the track output to "no output" the playback works just fine, but try to play through the Main outs and it hangs. I plugged it into the FW800 port on the back of my Mac G5. I have no other drives chained to the FW800 port. I do have another drive on the FW400 port, but not being used, I even turned it off.
The session itself contained no more than 58MB of actual audio data (I was just testing different mics on the same source) and 1 mono audio track.

Once I move the PT session folder to another drive (internal or external) everything works as normal. What gives?!? Anyone else have this problem?

Computer: Mac OS 10.5.8/5, Dual 2GHz PPC G5/5GB RAM.
External Drive: G-Drive, 7200rpm, 500GB, FW800, eSATA (no FW400)
Old 11-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Default Re: G-Drive problems

I had the same issues a few weeks ago with 2 new G-Drive 750Gb. You have to reformat the drive without the Case Sensative thing on. The directions are in the General Troubleshooting sticky at the top of this forum. I no longer have any issues once I reformatted. The only thing that annoyed me was it removes the desktop drive icon but you can add that yourself later.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-28-2009, 07:37 PM

Here it is:

- Make sure all drives are formatted Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with OS X’s Disk Utility. Pro Tools can not use UFS or HFS volumes. If the drive was originally formatted in OS 9 or with any other application, backup the drive and reinitialize it with Disk Utility. More information:
Hard Drive Requirements - Pro Tools LE for Mac OS X
- If you are on a PowerPC (PPC) Mac, you cannot record to a GUID partitioned drive (which is typically the partition type for Intel based Mac boot/OS drives). You must reformat the drive as Apple Partition Map. APM formatted drives can be used for recording with both PPC and Intel based Macs.

IMPORTANT! You MUST use a secondary hard drive (not your main OS drive) for recording and playback of audio in Pro Tools. Recording or playback from the OS drive is known to be problematic and the cause of many different error types. If you are using your system drive and encountering errors, the first thing you should do is get a compatible drive.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-30-2009, 08:10 PM

Well, I must rescind my working hard drive post! Went into the studio today and created a new session on my G-Drive, set up my tracks, hit play and got the 9060 and 9031 errors. So apparently I must not have reformatted my drive correctly and my recent sessions are still working off my old Glyph. Maybe together we can solve this problem!

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 11-30-2009, 09:36 PM

Quote:
I know that ProTools LE (using a 002) won't work with a 1TB drive
Is this true??

CA
Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 PM

I have read numerous places that any 1Tb drive lags and isn't good for audio recording. They are fine for the home user.

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab
Old 12-01-2009, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladewd View Post
Is this true??

CA
No. Absolutely not true.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brassandzin View Post
I know that ProTools LE (using a 002) won't work with a 1TB drive,
This is not true.
Old 12-01-2009, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Fuehrer View Post
I have read numerous places that any 1Tb drive lags and isn't good for audio recording. They are fine for the home user.
Not true. The drive lag is from a setting in preferences in PT about recording. Change it from use all space to a limited time (usually the max an audio recording could be -- for me that's 15-20mins.)

There's far too much misinformation in this thread that's going to scare new users about hard drive capacities.

Last edited by BScout; 12-01-2009 at 06:29 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-01-2009, 06:05 AM

So back on topic, how do we solve the issue to get these G-Drives to work right with Pro Tools?

Carl Fuehrer

Pulsar Audio Lab