Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-11-2007, 06:24 AM

Default Please HELP!!! need to move my PT plug ins folder!

Hello

Reallly need some help!

I have just done a really complicated reformat of my CPU and have set up many partitions and need to move my plug ins folder or set up an additonal folder to scan for my RTAS plug ins.

It installed (without letting me choose) to C:\program files\commmon files\digidesign and I need to either move to D: Drive or set up another folder to scan for plug ins on start up.

I cant have my plug ins on my C Drive and will need to resize all my partitions and will generate a lot of problems if I cant move.

I cant find an option anywhere in the docs or software to change this. Its so easy to do on every other program I use. I have also tried old school methods like creating alias shortcuts like in Logic!!!

PLLLLEAASE HELP!

Hopefully I am just being thick!

Steve
Old 02-11-2007, 07:54 AM

Default Re: Please HELP!!! need to move my PT plug ins fol

What you are attempting is definitely NOT recommended. It is recommended that Pro Tools, and all of it's plugins and peripheral programs be installed to the system drive.

Doing otherwise will (not can, will) cause Pro Tools not to function properly.

I don't really understand why you would do this or want to do this. There is no real advantage to doing so. I could understand installing the sample libraries of some plugins to another drive (I do that myself), but there is no advantage at all to installing the plugins themselves elsewhere.

Studio rig: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R, Intel i7 920, 6GB Patriot DDR3, NVidia 8600GS, LG GGW-H20L BD-RE, Sony CRX195E1 CD-RW, 2x WD Caviar black 640GB (os swap), 1x WD caviar 320GB (sessions), 1x Maxtor 120GB (sessions), 1x Seagate 1TB (samples/loops), Profire2626, Command8, PT12 on OSX

Mobile Rig: 2015 MacBook Pro Retina, Apollo Twin, PT12
Old 02-11-2007, 08:29 AM

Quote:
What you are attempting is definitely NOT recommended. It is recommended that Pro Tools, and all of it's plugins and peripheral programs be installed to the system drive.

Doing otherwise will (not can, will) cause Pro Tools not to function properly.

I don't really understand why you would do this or want to do this. There is no real advantage to doing so. I could understand installing the sample libraries of some plugins to another drive (I do that myself), but there is no advantage at all to installing the plugins themselves elsewhere.
Thanks for your advice.

I am tring to install only windows on one partition and all apps and plug ins on a different partition to increase stability. I have only a 10GB partition for system and intend on installing many plug ins I also test many out demos etc. and uninstall this has caused me probs in the past.

Would this advice also extend to the VST to RTAS adapter?

Thanks again.

S

Old 02-11-2007, 09:07 AM

Pro Tools, all plugs and the VST adapter should be installed in their default locations on the C: system drive.
As spkguitar has said, sample libraries used by plugs can be installed on a separate drive to increase performance.
And of course, your PT session files should be located on a separate drive. But the applications need to be installed to the system drive.

For what it's worth, separate partitions of the same drive do not increase performance. It is even possible it will increase the workload of the single drive under some circumstances.
In other words, a partitioned single drive does not have the performance advantage of actual separate drives.