Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 06:44 PM

Default @AVID: Please give us an HD8 to 9 upgrade with HEAT

So as a HD8 user I need to pay $ 350,- to upgrade to PT9 and pretty much all I get is Eucon support. Please consider throwing in HEAT for HD users, or at least give add it to the upgrade options like you did with the instrument pack.

Would be greatly appreciated!!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Default Re: @AVID: Please give us an HD8 to 9 upgrade with HEAT

You get PTHD on your laptop with the purchase & you can use any core audio hardware........ or none at all.
Its a dam sweet deal as i see it.

example:

you own PT8 / HD2

You buy upgrade to PT9HD for $349

You now get PT9HD and you can also use your new auth to run PT9HD on another computer (like a laptop) without your PT hardware..... and you get almost full HD capabilities! (no TDM plugs, 32 i/o limit, etc)
Old 11-05-2010, 01:35 AM

Dude, I have a MacPro and HD3. I don't even WANT to run Pro Tools on anything else.

Besides...i've also PT M-Powered, run that on a laptop. Doesn't work very well...look at the discussion regarding "Software Monitoring". Lame.

So what are the $350 HD8 to 9 good for?? Give us at least a good bundle deal. I "just" want Eucon support and the new playlist key command. Thank you.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Dude, I have a MacPro and HD3. I don't even WANT to run Pro Tools on anything else.

Besides...i've also PT M-Powered, run that on a laptop. Doesn't work very well...look at the discussion regarding "Software Monitoring". Lame.

So what are the $350 HD8 to 9 good for?? Give us at least a good bundle deal. I "just" want Eucon support and the new playlist key command. Thank you.
+1

And I don't even need the eucon support. £300 for a key command? Huge rip off for us in nearly every respect.

On the other hand I would happily pay £300 for a version of PT8 under SL that actually worked. I'm still having massive problems here. Is there a bug fix list anywhere?
Old 11-05-2010, 02:59 AM

Such a shame that a buyer like me who bought a new HD2 Accell PCI-e rig from Avid only 5 months ago has to pay 350 Euros (the strange fact is also that the upgrade costs 350 $... and 350 $ are absolutely not equal to 350 Euro!!!!) for this upgrade. Another shame from Avid. Don't tell me that it is good only because I can install PT on any system I want. I always work with my laptop or my desktop @ the studio so this not a good excuse.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:48 AM

Pricing outside the US sucks. I'm in UK and I have to pay £294 to upgrade, which is a 37% markup on the US price at current exchange rates......
Old 11-05-2010, 08:29 AM

Yeah - pricing in the EU and UK is really, really strange. I can only recommend NOT TO BUY from the AVID online store. Get it from your local dealer or buy from a dealer in the U.S.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:31 AM

Nonetheless, 350 $ for having just more tracks/buses and the possibility of working on a laptop with no hw seems a little pricey for us HD owners. At least they could have included Heat in the upgrade.

+1

..., always paid for peanuts still paying for peanuts, ... (not so sure anymore)

best, agradl
Old 11-05-2010, 08:47 AM

It's incredible that Avid opted NOT to throw the bone of HEAT to the wide base of HD users as an additional reason for TDM users to spend the $350 to upgrade. There's really little reason for HD users with large MacPros and 1,2 or 3 or more TDM cards who could care less about using a laptop to work with, using other hardware to run audio through, etc. Kudos to Avid for finally unlocking PT to hardware, but to ignore all of us HD users by not acknowledging that there's little or no reason to upgrade from 8 is embarrassing. HEAT might have taken the sting out of this and allowed HD users to celebrate a little bit more.
Listen harder AVID Marketing... you overlooked your loyal high end base with this one and although I applaud your decisions to finally offer ADC to the rest of the PT family, add PT Native into the lineup and streamline the line up you should have made sure the top end of the chain was taken care of as well. HEAT would have made the $350 upgrade palatable, as it is there's not much for me except an innate need to keep my system at the current Version number.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:56 AM

I guess the thing to do is stay on 8 until 9 has something worth paying for, like 64-bit, or HEAT.

I keep checking here in case they say 'ooops, sorry guys big mistake, HD9 is a free upgrade....'.

I guess they are trying to mitigate the costs of the attack on the consumer DAW market.

But what I hate is the the LE upgrade, which is substantial, is cheaper that the HD upgrade which unless you are doing post is pretty pointless.... apart from keeping on the upgrade path in case they fix bugs etc and finally do the 64-bit thing.....