Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2009, 01:11 PM

Default i heard some nice gossip

well , i heard someone who is IMHO trust-worthie - that Digidesign , next step is a whole Recording system - , that would be driven by protools - but won't work under Mac-os nor windows , it is going to be a complete box - Ready for Work - , no operating systems , just the software - sitting in a dedicated Hardware .
i could not tell if TDM architecture will be continued in the next system , but i believe it will have some PCIe support for some kind of DSP's

interesting....i just bought HD....after 10 years of LE ....guess i waited too long
Avid Omni HD
MacPro 2.4 Xeon 8 core 24Giga
UAD-2 And most of the UAD plugins
All AAX DSP and Native Plugins (all most)
Tons of Hardware...:)
Old 10-27-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Re: i heard some nice gossip

Sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to hearing more info when it comes.

-Justin
Old 10-27-2009, 01:24 PM

Something's definitely coming. And soon. NAMM probably.

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
well , i heard someone who is IMHO trust-worthie - that Digidesign , next step is a whole Recording system - , that would be driven by protools - but won't work under Mac-os nor windows , it is going to be a complete box - Ready for Work - , no operating systems , just the software - sitting in a dedicated Hardware .
i could not tell if TDM architecture will be continued in the next system , but i believe it will have some PCIe support for some kind of DSP's

interesting....i just bought HD....after 10 years of LE ....guess i waited too long
I think that would be a huge step backwards. . . plus I don't think it would fly with the masses, and Digidesign would not go there for that reason, they spend a lot of time thinking out their next move. . . From my angle I see it more like Digidesign will provide all features in a host based system, and have DSP in a stand alone box for those that need it and for ease of scalability. IMO the Waves APA was ahead of its' time.

Regardless of either of these 2 outcomes, same result, existing HD systems become virtually worthless. . . time will tell.

My personal favorite solution would be </dream on> A new optional external DSP box, that sits outside an existing Protools Mac/PC computer. The eDSP boxes can be chained together to the extreme and accessed by Protools. New PT software integrates native, TDM and external DSP (RTAS, TDM, + and now enters new eTDM) (no more LE or HD, just ProTools which works across all the various hardware). Us HD3 guys trade in one of our HD cards and get the external add-on (w/ 8x the power of an HD Accel card) for next to nothing. </dream off>

Will Digi use MADI? and play nice with others?

Yep, NAMM is my uneducated guess when something like this will be released. The writing is all over the walls.
Old 10-27-2009, 01:28 PM

Wow, great! So when the client e-mails me a download link to essential audio and video files just as the session begins I can download them, copy them onto a data key, unplug it and then move it to my dedicated hardware system where I can copy it into my new dedicated recording system. Then when the session's done I can copy the files off my dedicated recording hardware onto my other computer to post to the video guys and e-mail to clients. That sounds sensible...<sarcasm off>

Unless the dedicated hardware handles web-browsing, e-mail, ftp, video file conversion, version updating and all the other things that regularly interface with my Pro Tools system, I can't see how this is going to help most users.

Sonny Keyes
Ricochet Audio
Toronto
Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Sounds like a Venue system with recording capability. If it's like a current Venue system, it will probably be PCI (recycled HD cards).
Old 10-27-2009, 02:01 PM

No way. Not gonna happen. Next 'tools version will be native. Maybe hardware add-on DSP via external boxes, like someone mentioned... But not a turnkey solution ala Sadie, AudioCube (which both run on Windows, BTW) -- that stuff is old news.

I'll tell you this... If there was ever going to be a reason that we would ditch our 4 HD systems here, and move to another platform...
Old 10-27-2009, 02:08 PM

A possible scenario is that HD systems are replaced on the very high end by a RADAR like thing as you suggest, and LE systems are replaced by a full-powered native solution. Upgrading both lines with two new systems not one. The very high-end system will be for post and big music facilities and the more mid-range system for your average music recording studio. Essentials replaces the Mboxes/LE on the very low end.

So going from two product tiers to three. Of course the "mid level" solution itself will be a major upgrade to HD which has fallen behind present native solutions in power and i/o.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:41 PM

To the OP - I think you need to ask your crystal ball again.

All in one box? That you cant install other Mac or XP programs to and wouldnt be affordable to the larger portion of the general public.

My magic 8ball says... My sources say no. Those solutions are not something that will sell nor make large profits and I thought Digi even tried something similar to that in the past and it didnt go anywyere? Or maybe it was just another rumor.

But there are some more likely solutions in my opinion. Such as hummerZ's.
Anyone taking bets?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilulilu888 View Post
but won't work under Mac-os nor windows ,
That would be mostly useless to 99% of us who use dozens of third party apps along side PT.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.