How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2017, 01:18 PM

Default PT 12 Workspace Unable to read Sound Effects

Hey good people,

I used to use the workspace in Pro Tools 10HD to search for sound effects on my SFX drive.

I'm now in Pro Tools 12 (non HD), and when pulling up these same sounds in the workspace, I am unable to even audition the sound yet alone drag them into the session. I am able to accomplish this only the Boom library stuff, but all of my expensive Sound effects library such as Hollywood Edge, Sound Ideas, etc., I am unable to access those.

My question is why? Why am I unable to access my Sound FX? Is this an HD vs Native issue? - Thanks
Old 04-04-2017, 04:13 PM

Default Re: PT 12 Workspace Unable to read Sound Effects

Do you see the sounds listed in the workspace but they are grayed out?
If so, I suspect that the affected sound libraries have been previously ripped as sound designer II files which PT10 will read but are incompatible with PT11 and up. Your Boom library is probably in .wav format which is fine.
If this is the case you will need to convert your affected libraries to .wav files for use in PT12.
You can do this conversion in PT10, or do a search of the DUC and see what other users suggest.
Nothing to do with native vs. HD.
Good luck!
5,1 Mac Pro, 3.46 GHz Six Core Xeon, 48gb ram, Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6, HD Native card, Avid 192io interface, Avid 96io, Intensity Pro video card, Radeon HD 7950 graphics card, Mac OS Monterey 12.6.7.
Old 04-04-2017, 04:45 PM

Also check the formatting of your SFX drive, PT can be problematic with some FAT 32 formatted drives, of course, this is only for Mac users.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lae777 View Post
Do you see the sounds listed in the workspace but they are grayed out?
If so, I suspect that the affected sound libraries have been previously ripped as sound designer II files which PT10 will read but are incompatible with PT11 and up. Your Boom library is probably in .wav format which is fine.
If this is the case you will need to convert your affected libraries to .wav files for use in PT12.
You can do this conversion in PT10, or do a search of the DUC and see what other users suggest.
Nothing to do with native vs. HD.
Good luck!
This is exactly the issue. I am looking at the files now and they are definitely SDII files. The Boom library is in .wav.

I still have PT10 on another machine. How easy is it to batch convert all of this?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMF Media View Post
Also check the formatting of your SFX drive, PT can be problematic with some FAT 32 formatted drives, of course, this is only for Mac users.
Thanks for the tip, but the issues is the files being SDII.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:18 PM

IIRC, Import them into PT10 and Export them as Wave.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction