Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-05-2006, 01:21 PM

Default audio waveform editing

Hope someone can help me out on this,

Here is the case:
I have a guitar track that is a little bit of beat... for example i have one beat that should hit on bar 16 but instead it hits on something like 15.3.800.. so im trying to make the beat before that one longer so the culprit land on time... I've been going at it for like 6 hours and i still can get it correctly done... here is what i have tried:

1. I've taken the previous beat and copy-pasted the last part of it so it "pushes" the beat forward, but i get this audible "click" tht i can't get out with fading.

2. I've used the "Insert time" option so that it sets the off sync beat in 16.. and then trimmed the part back so it units with the left part of the cut.. but i still get this "pop"...

3. Change the tempo of the song at that part so it land on time, but, by god, that dosn't work either.

Isn't there an easier and simpler way to do this.. like stretching a region selection or something so that it can be made longer or shorter...

My girlfriend is starting to call me a wus because i can't get this done... she says that all do she has never used PT in all her life, she could fix it in five minutes!!.. someone please help me out so I don't have to take that kind of abuse from that woman!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:05 PM

Default Re: audio waveform editing

Yes there's an easier way. Do this:

Create a region at the start point of the guitar track you want to shift. At the top of the edit screen you'll see the smart tool(the one with three buttons grouped together)
Hold your mouse over the first one on the left and click. You'll see options there. Choose TCE. That stands for Time Compression and Expansion. With this selected go to the start point of your guitar track and drag to where you want this to start( bar 16) your guitar track has now shifted to bar 16. Make sure you change the smart tool back to the cut only otherwise you'll be TCEing everything you want to cut. Hope this helps.

Edit.... If you still here ticks/pops at the edit point, you may need to do a crossfade.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:36 PM

Ok, Keniko.. I'll try that... so you're saying i must create a new region all the way back at bar 0, select TCE, drag the selection all the way until 16 and.. voila!!

But wont this shift the whole song up to bar 16? or can I just choose the part I want to expand?...
By the way.. I really like that how all this is sounding because that is exactly what i want to do... expand time.

Thanks a lot Keniko...
Old 10-06-2006, 03:03 PM

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.....No, don't select the whole track. Just select the start and end points of the edit....meaning if one chord hit is before or after the beat, highlight just that chord and TCE the start of the region. You may have to do a crossfade if you hear pops or ticks at the edit point.
Old 10-06-2006, 09:37 PM

Thanks man... I tried and it worked good... then i got around to using time shift and it works like a charm... at least if the time you're trying to shift is small enough... thanks a lot... and thanks for check up...
Old 10-09-2006, 07:31 AM

No Problem. This forum has helped me so many times in the past. It's nice to give back every once in a while.

www.thebluesmavericks.com