Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-09-2021, 02:32 PM

Default Adding Roland RD-88 to PT10

I downloaded the drivers for a new Roland RD-88…everything is working fine…I was wondering how/where to add the Roland-88 into PT10 so it recognizes it….The only keyboard that it lists (recognizes) is my Yamaha Motif XF8…thanks for the help!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:40 AM

Default Re: Adding Roland RD-88 to PT10

I know nothing about windows vista, but but I think it's a question of adding the roland in an application or system settings called Audio/MIDI Setup.
Old 06-10-2021, 11:08 AM

In Pro Tools, go to Setup>Midi>Midi Studio. In that menu, create new "instruments" for both the Motif and the Roland. The brand and model settings don't matter, but the setting that REALLY matters is the Input Path. That setting needs to be set for each keyboard, according to how the keyboard connects. Once both are properly configured in that menu, close that and create 2 stereo instrument tracks(for testing). Stick MiniGrand on the first track and DB-33 on the second and put both tracks in Record-ready. Playing either keyboard SHOULD play BOTH instruments. Hopefully, they do(and this is because Midi/Instrument tracks default to receiving from ALL midi sources).

Now open the VIEW menu>Mix Window and check "Instruments". That will open a row across the top of the MIX window showing midi assignments. In those boxes, you can set each track to receive from ONE of the two keyboards. You also have the option of setting individual MIDI channels if needed Hope it works

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-14-2021, 07:51 AM

Since Midi/Instrument recognizes all signals coming in....is that why when I hooked up the Roland RD-88 Before creating (adding) it as a separate path (instrument) ...that the Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 recognized it as the Yamaha Motif XF8 that I had already set up in it.....and it worked, both Midi/Audio were recognized and recorded in test recording tracks....?.... I was tempted just to leave it as is....since it worked just fine....thanks for the help....

Mid 2012 MacBook, Pro Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Yamaha Motif XF8, Roland RD-88, Yamaha HS80M plus Sub, ProTools 10
Old 06-17-2021, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff j View Post
Since Midi/Instrument recognizes all signals coming in....is that why when I hooked up the Roland RD-88 Before creating (adding) it as a separate path (instrument) ...that the Focusrite Scarlette 2i4 recognized it as the Yamaha Motif XF8 that I had already set up in it.....and it worked, both Midi/Audio were recognized and recorded in test recording tracks....?.... I was tempted just to leave it as is....since it worked just fine....thanks for the help....

Mid 2012 MacBook, Pro Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Yamaha Motif XF8, Roland RD-88, Yamaha HS80M plus Sub, ProTools 10
Can't answer that one. The info I gave is based on having multiple midi controllers working over several years. I have successfully had 3 running at once. A Roland TD10 kit for playing Addictive Drums, a Motif es8 for piano and an old Ensoniq keyboard for playing DB-33. I could record all 3 without any cross-triggering as long as I did assignments properly. Good luck!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave