Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 10-11-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Dark mode

Since Avid is working on making the coming 2018.10 compatible with Mojave, do you guys think we will get a dark mode option? I know on Windows it is in much need of a GUI update with its hideous Vista-colour framing all the UI elements.

It makes so much sense having dark mode compatibility for e.g post work where you spend a lot of time in darkened settings. It will eventually also cause less eye bleeding given that OS developers are finally embracing system wide dark mode.
Old 10-11-2018, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Dark mode

let's hope for mojave support, but until the official word is out we don't really know
Old 10-16-2018, 06:21 PM

If I am running Reaper, it's in the Near Dark theme all the time now. Much more pleasant to use like that.
Old 10-16-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onosendai View Post
Since Avid is working on making the coming 2018.10 compatible with Mojave, do you guys think we will get a dark mode option? I know on Windows it is in much need of a GUI update with its hideous Vista-colour framing all the UI elements.

It makes so much sense having dark mode compatibility for e.g post work where you spend a lot of time in darkened settings. It will eventually also cause less eye bleeding given that OS developers are finally embracing system wide dark mode.

I just lower the contrast lighting on my iMac screen with F2. It is soothing enough. Dark or black without lowering text also is more painful to me. Or is that what what you mean by Dark Mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2018, 08:57 PM

I have to admit that I enjoy having dark mode on most of my phone apps and lately on some pages and desktop programs. Would be great to have that too in Pro Tools.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:39 PM

Default Dark mode

Yep been in dark mode on Tapatalk for a few years now.....

I am not quite sure how much I would like it within a DAW
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:46 PM

Be careful what you wish for. Dark Logic Pro was pretty bad...
Old 10-17-2018, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredmant View Post
I just lower the contrast lighting on my iMac screen with F2. It is soothing enough. Dark or black without lowering text also is more painful to me. Or is that what what you mean by Dark Mode?
That workaround makes it more pleasant agreed. What I mean is a colour palette like the "darker" mode options that e.g. Reaper and Reason offer. It makes it immenseley more comfortable to work in for long hours and in darkened setttings in a studio or at night.

OS Mojave (and W10, but they bungled it) now offers system wide Dark Mode where the interface; menus, finder, text etc. is drawn using hues of gray or close to black. They did a really good job and per usual they have made a lot of new apis and guidelines available so developers can use it to give their apps dark mode support.

In the future more apps will be aware of what "mode" the OS is in and make sure to apply a "dark mode" option (if it's supported and user checks it) so you won't be met with bright flashing UI and stark colours when switching/using an app.

Applications that don't support it will eventually stick out a lot on a dark mode system and make them less optically ergonimic whenever your eyes have to adapt back and forth.

Pro Tools is not the worst offender and it offers different colour customizations of e.g. tracks, but the overall body of colours and text are noticably bright, contrasty or white especially on windows.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Be careful what you wish for. Dark Logic Pro was pretty bad...
I'm not a Logic user, but it should of course be an option that a user can turn on and off or leave it so it changes depending on what your system is currently running.
Just dark mode makes as much sense as just having the status quo, because it will cause significant friction depending on your setting.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:56 AM

Please no, Pro tools has the best GUI of any daw in the world, period.

Almost every other DAW has been destroyed by these debilitating, overly busy dark on dark GUI's.

S1 was ruined in V3, Logic in X, Cubase in 9.. so sick of it.

If avid listens to this and does something like it, WITHOUT it being optional, i'll freak. This is what concerns me and why I always fight against it, cause there is no guarantee they'd leave the current GUI for people that love it as is.