Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2011, 02:17 PM

Default Which version of pro tools 9 do I have??? PLEASE HELP (friend gave me computer)

Hi, I bought a macbook pro of my friend, and it already had protools 9 installed, I just want to know how to figure out what all I have with it. How do I tell if its pro tools 9 HD? how do I tell If i have the complete production tool kit or the instrument expansion pack? What is the difference between HD and regular? Please help I have no idea how to tell what I have...
Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

Default Re: Which version of pro tools 9 do I have??? PLEASE HELP (friend gave me computer)

What asset is on your iLok?
Old 04-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Which version of pro tools 9 do I have??? PLEASE HELP (friend gave me computer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerrecords View Post
Hi, I bought a macbook pro of my friend, and it already had protools 9 installed, I just want to know how to figure out what all I have with it. How do I tell if its pro tools 9 HD? how do I tell If i have the complete production tool kit or the instrument expansion pack? What is the difference between HD and regular? Please help I have no idea how to tell what I have...
Well, for starters, YOU don't have anything without a valid transfer of ownership. Your friend still owns the ProTools.

Will PT launch? Do you have an ilock? If you can launch ProTools, check under the ProTools tab and do "About Pro Tools" That will tell what version you have.

Arrr matey, I possibly smell a pirate in our midst!

Get that ownership transferred!
Old 04-07-2011, 03:15 PM

I cant even open it haha... I gotta talk to him and get him to help me with that ownership transfer.... or Ill just delete the program and start fresh with my own copy, thanks though
Old 04-07-2011, 03:38 PM

Yeah without the accompanying iLok + PT9 asset, you don't have anything. You can't open PT without it.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:45 PM

Call me curious; that you could have all this in your user profile;

2010 MacBook Pro
2.4 Ghz Dual Core
4GB Ram
Pro Tools 9 HD
Komplete 6
Presonus Firestudio Project x2 (Daisy Chained)
Presonus TubePre x2
Presonus Comp16
Presonus HP60

And still not know what version of Pro tools you are running....
OWC Express 4M2 (4 X 2TB)
Interface: Presonus Quantum
Presonus Faderport & Faderport 8
Black Lion Sparrow Mk2 A/D, FMR-RNP-RNC, MIDI Xpress 128
BM5A, KRK VXT4, Equator D5
2020 Macbook Pro 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Audio(mobile rig)
Old 04-07-2011, 09:57 PM

When I was filling that out, I called my friend to ask what version and he said PT 9 HD, But now he says hes not sure what the HD EVEN means, and like I said I cant even open protools on this comp. Im just gunna by it, probally the full version, maybe the cheaper one, what do u reccomend for someone just getting started with PT? (Ive used cubase 5 for a year and pretty much know it inside and out)
Old 04-08-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strummerrecords View Post
When I was filling that out, I called my friend to ask what version and he said PT 9 HD, But now he says hes not sure what the HD EVEN means, and like I said I cant even open protools on this comp. Im just gunna by it, probally the full version, maybe the cheaper one, what do u reccomend for someone just getting started with PT? (Ive used cubase 5 for a year and pretty much know it inside and out)
PT 9. Not the HD version unless you want to spend a lot of money on some new hardware.
Old 04-08-2011, 01:19 AM

dosent pt 9 and pt9 hd come on the same disk, just install different?
Old 04-08-2011, 02:10 AM

PT9 and PT9HD are the same software, how they open depends on what license(s) you have on your iLok.