Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2008, 06:28 PM

Unhappy Burned Cd's wont play in anything but my computer

Burned cd's display a "no disc" message or all 0's indicating no tracks on disc. AM recording in 24 bit then converting to a 16 bit stereo interleaved 44.1 ghz wav file. Dragging file to burn list on Windows Media Player then burning cd. This method worked fine last year before I updated my BFD and Sampltank programs so I could record in 24 bit. Why did it work when I was all 16 bit but not now? Tech support has told me the problem is in my burning software but it worked fine last time I tried it before system upgrade. Cd's play in my computer only. Please help anyone. Possible missed or incorrect setting in PT? I have also tried Sonic burning software and I get the same result.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Burned Cd's wont play in anything but my computer

Find one of the tracks that you burned to a non-working CD and right-click and select properties. Check the second tab and see if it says 16 bit and 44.1K(if it does not, there's a problem). When you "convert" to 16 bit, are you using a dither plugin(you should)? (although that does not explain the problem. I've never used WMP for CD burning so I can't tell if its an issue with that. You might also try a different brand of CD-R. Are you naybe creating a multi-session disk? You need to burn single-session so the disc gets finalized(a multi-session disc is not finalized so it won't play in any CD player).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-17-2008, 12:44 PM

Hi!

Please make sure that you are using a Audio CD to burn to. For example, my XBox won´t play music burned to Data CDs. No problems when using audio CDs.

br,

Jarkko
3 TB storage space
PT LE 8.0
Alphatrack
Focusrite Liquid Mix
Waves Musician II, NPP bundle (Native)
DUY EverPack, IK-Multimedia plugs, Nebula 3, apTrigga 2, and so on..
Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM

After more investigation, I think the problem 's in my burner. The file (tune) I'm trying to burn is 16 bit 44.1. The properties also list PCM as the audio format. (No idea whether this is correct or not.) I tried to burn some demo's from last year and got the same result. I think the burner is making all data cd's for some reason. Going to try to burn an audio cd from a data file on another system today and if it works the problem is located. Thanks for the help. Tech support confirms that if I'm creating a 16 bit 44.1 wav file the problem's not with PT.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:22 AM

Hi axetjb. I somtimes use WMP to quickly burn CD's. I always bounce to 24 bit. WMP should automatically convert your 24 bit file to 16 bit. I've never bounced to 16 bit or had to dither down to 16 bit while mixing down. I've taken the Pro Tools 101, 110 and 201 classes and my instructor told me this if that gives you any confidence in what I'm saying.

Are you using Vista or XP?

I've been using Vista and its been awhile since I've used XP but make sure WMP is set to burn 'Audio CD' and not 'Data Disc'. In Vista, open WMP and under the 'Burn' button at the top of the WMP window is a little pull down button. Its a very thin little button just under the 'Burn' button. Hit that button and there will be a list of options...two of the options are 'Burn Audio CD' and 'Burn Data CD'.

If your using XP there should be somthing similar.

I hope this helps. If not....I tried. Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 08:02 AM

While that may work, I would not let WMP convert my 24 bit files to 16 bit as it likely truncates the file with no dither. If you read up on dither, you will see that it is highly recommended when going from 24 bit to 16 bit to maintain audio quality, especially for low level stuff(like reverb tails and fadeouts).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-19-2008, 08:52 AM

Quote:
While that may work, I would not let WMP convert my 24 bit files to 16 bit as it likely truncates the file with no dither. If you read up on dither, you will see that it is highly recommended when going from 24 bit to 16 bit to maintain audio quality, especially for low level stuff(like reverb tails and fadeouts).
Although I've never noticed the difference between my dithered and non-dithered mixes I appreciate your knowledge albee. Thank you.

P.S. Axetjb, although albee may be correct, I can almost guarentee that the dither thing is not part of the problem that you are having. Good luck.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:56 AM

If the CD's play on the computer they were burned on and nothing else, it sounds like the audio disks aren't being closed. I don't use WMP for burning and don't have a clue whether there is an option to leave disks open or not. Is it possible that WMP won't close a cdr unless it is an "audio cdr"? I didn't really think there was a difference except for an additional fee you pay when you buy audio disks.

Try a different burning program and make sure you specify to close the disk when finished burning.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 09-19-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
If the CD's play on the computer they were burned on and nothing else, it sounds like the audio disks aren't being closed. I don't use WMP for burning and don't have a clue whether there is an option to leave disks open or not. Is it possible that WMP won't close a cdr unless it is an "audio cdr"? I didn't really think there was a difference except for an additional fee you pay when you buy audio disks.

Try a different burning program and make sure you specify to close the disk when finished burning.

Hope this helps,
Greg
This is a very good point. I used to have this problem with Windows ME and after I ugraded to XP and got Nero the problem dissapeared. Also I'm no rocket sceintist but arent CDs supposed to be burned to Redbook specs? or is PCM compatable?

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 09-19-2008, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunburst79 View Post
....but arent CDs supposed to be burned to Redbook specs? or is PCM compatable?
Definitely RedBook if you're playing away from the computer that burned it.
PT 2018; Nuendo 8.?; Studio One 3; former Sonar and Sequoia user .... GENELEC 1031A, AVANTONE MIX CUBES (Active); Sibelius 7.0; Dorico; Mac Mini 2.6 GHz Core i7, OS X 10.12.2 Sierra; 16GB RAM; 480 GB System SSD; 1 TB 7200 rpm Audio; 3 TB samples; Roland A-800 Pro controller; GOOD BYE PEE SEA!!