Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 02-23-2002, 07:06 AM

Default Does PT GUI need a face lift?

Most people agree on the (largely) wonderful stability and usability of the ProTools software... so, anyone turned off by its circa 90's Mac/PC look? Will PT receive a face lift for the OS X version? Would this be good or bad? And I don't mean entirely aesthetically, either -- are there functional components missing from the ProTools GUI interface?

Now if it comes down crunch time for a developer to correctly shade PT window backgrounds in natural 32 bit color wood, or implement, say, Midi Time Stamping or automatic latency delay...

I'll take mahogany with inlaid cherry borders. (Kidding.)

Scotty
Old 02-24-2002, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Does PT GUI need a face lift?

Instead of creating an aqua look, i would appreciate a color mixer where i can choice the color of the channel or group or track kind.
Old 02-24-2002, 01:49 PM

Most definitely.
the audio first excuse is getting old. Keep the layout the way it is, just the basic GUI look that needs total revamping.

Heck, DP, Nuendo, Logic, and just about everything else look slicker that PT.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:27 PM

I like the simple look, mabey I'm just used to it. I would rather see plugin latency compinsation implimented. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-24-2002, 03:31 PM

I like the simple look of Pro Tools too. Nuendo, Cubase and the rest look slick only to attract first-time customers. Lotsa wizbang features look good in advertisements, but do little to help productivity.
Old 02-24-2002, 03:58 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Robotnik:
I like the simple look of Pro Tools too. Nuendo, Cubase and the rest look slick only to attract first-time customers. Lotsa wizbang features look good in advertisements, but do little to help productivity.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I love the way Pro Tools looks. Logic and the others look God-awful, at least their mixers. They look like klutzy toys. Especially Logic.

I do think Digi needs to allow us to use color more, and someday, after years of requests, I hope they finally allow folders in the region bin.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:00 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Mackenzie:
Most people agree on the (largely) wonderful stability and usability of the ProTools software... so, anyone turned off by its circa 90's Mac/PC look?

Scotty
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It was the 90s a couple of years ago last time I checked...you make it sound like we're working with something out of the 40s [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I think Pro Tools looks simple and classy. It has an elegant interface, unlike the wannabes out there, which scream at you with garish controls and colors. I really think the competition looks amateurish.
Old 02-24-2002, 04:51 PM

I don't really care what it looks like as long as it works.

However, it doesn't seem like it would be too hard to make it skin-able. Then people could have whatever look they want. Other programs have implemented this successfully. I like the way Muzys did it. http://www.muzys.com
Old 02-24-2002, 06:14 PM

My interface suggestion actually harkens back to the 1800's (in computer terms)
I'd like to see more use of list editors.
For instance
how about a spreadsheet type of grid of check boxes/pop ups for setting Ins/Outs/Voices/Panning etc? this way you could tab through the settings for all tracks very easily.
how about a list view of the timeline showing regions start times end times, fades etc? Then you could command-click, shift click and rearrange all in one list instead of scrolling around the time line. by grouping tracks or using multichannel tracks you could edit very nicely. Of course this would be an additional otional choice for those of us who find this type of stuff useful.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:21 AM

yikes! Don't mess with the look of the gui! it works, it is familiar, we don't need catchy aesthetics, we need to continue to improve functionality. We pt users get our little bits of eye-candy when we pop open a cool looking new plug in. let that be enough.

i am not saying don't improve it. please, give us folders in the region bin, for example, and make it easier to get at automation parameters, but don't go changing the look to be more "modern". this is a tool that pros use everyday. It looks fine!

www.tompaul.com