Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 06-24-2011, 06:01 AM

Default Partitoining System Drive? Dedicated "User" for PT9?

Hi All,

I'm about to install a new internal system hard drive on my Macbook Pro (older model; Mid 2007)

I've heard about advantages of:

---Partitioning the drive, so that one partition just runs PT9, and nothing else.

---Making a new "user", which just runs PT9.

Is there any advantage for the above, as opposed to:

Running everything from a single user account, and making sure that nothing is running in the background while using PT9?

Thanks !
Old 06-24-2011, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Partitoining System Drive? Dedicated "User" for PT9?

Just use one partition and one user, you'll be fine. I'm willing to bet that's how a good 90% or more of PT users have their rigs setup.

Creating a second user is sometimes used as a troubleshooting step but not as a suggested initial setup.

Creating partitions is generally a bad idea on any drive, system or other. Gone are the days when it would offer substantial performance boosts due to how fast drives are now, and it can actually hurt your machine's performance if you don't do a good job of separating data to keep the drive head from trying to access both partitions simultaneously.
Old 06-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Default Re: Partitoining System Drive? Dedicated "User" for PT9?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMcK View Post
Just use one partition and one user, you'll be fine. I'm willing to bet that's how a good 90% or more of PT users have their rigs setup.

Creating a second user is sometimes used as a troubleshooting step but not as a suggested initial setup.

Creating partitions is generally a bad idea on any drive, system or other. Gone are the days when it would offer substantial performance boosts due to how fast drives are now, and it can actually hurt your machine's performance if you don't do a good job of separating data to keep the drive head from trying to access both partitions simultaneously.
I don't find this true at all. All my systems have multiple partitions and they all work fine.

I have PT on a separate system for restoring purposes, and generally keeping it clean from other possible issues that some software might introduce.

They backup faster, and they restore faster.

Your OS drive shouldn't really be a place to keep files either. Should their be a problem, they are gone.

I typically have a backup partition as well for installers, ect.

LEX
Old 06-25-2011, 05:59 AM

Default Re: Partitioning System Drive? Dedicated "User" for PT9?

OK...Thank you both for your quite differing opinions!
Anyone else care to chime in?