Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 08-12-2010, 10:44 AM

Default freeze when launching

I solved this small and anoying problem but thought I'd share.
Upon launching, the window would stop on "Launching Protools Initializing Globals" or a nearby point in the launch process. I disconnected the ADAT and the Eureka w/ digital spdif card which I often clock to. I turned off the external FW HD. Still the problem persisted. Each time I forced quit PT to try something different. Then I opened "Digi Core Audio Manager" changed it's settings from external to internal clock source and closed it. Now PT opened normally. I turned on the ext HD, closed PT, turned on the ADAT and Eureka, re-launched PT normally, and was able to select external clock source and open a session normally. Aparently a clock source miscomunication caused my problem.
During the trouble shooting I searched for a similar post but found none. So, here is my experience in case I forget and have the same problem in the future.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
OSX 10.5.6

Digi 002R, PT LE 8.0.0
OWC external firewire hard drive
Old 08-12-2010, 08:10 PM

Default Re: freeze when launching

Glad you solved your issue.

Very, very weirdly, I was having the same problem. Tried everything including wiping the system drive clean, reinstalling 10.6.3 and the PT 8.0.4 and still no luck.

No matter what I did, the only way I could get PT to launch was to disconnect anything connected to the ethernet port.

However, today, mysteriously my issue is fixed. For the first time in 3 months PT, and sessions, open normally.

What was my fix? Nothing. I didn't do anything! No updates, no preferences no system changes. Just as mysteriously as the problem appeared, it has disappeared.

I don't get it...
Digi 002r
Command 8
Old 08-13-2010, 06:48 AM

Default Re: freeze when launching

Check that, I think I figured it out.

Remembering back to what DUC'er Ernst Cline said about local IP addressess affecting PT's ability to launch, I check the Network pane and sure enough the prefix of the IP address being fed by my cable modem to DHCP has changed from 24.xxxx.xxx etc. to 16.xxx.xxx.

Spotlight indexing/unindexing seems to have nothing to do with it. For me, it all appears to come down to the prefix of the IP address being fed by my cable modem to the ethernet port.

While not necessarily an Avid issue per se, I have never encountered this issue in 10+ years as a PT user -- with this same cable service.

I'm not necessarily pointing fingers, but either the IP prefix issue is something that was overlooked or deleted in the coding of PT 8, or this is a new issue.

Either way, I really wish someone at Avid could have given me a simple heads up about this rather than relying on hours and hours of hair tearing troubleshooting, numerous posts and a few wise words from a fellow DUC'er.

Here's hoping this saves someone else the headache.
Digi 002r
Command 8