How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 06-21-2024, 11:18 AM

Default Re: 2024.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnSTL View Post
Same issue with RePitch Elements - no code anywhere that I can see either in my account online or in Avid Link.
the REDEEM CODE is actually the SERIAL NUMBER!!!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCw...ogfR_7Q/videos

------------------------------------------------------
PT2024.6, OS X Monterey, Late 2013 MacPro, 6 core, 64 GB RAM, Orion Studio, Slate Raven MTi2, ISA428, ADL600, Distressor, Grace 501, Dimedio, Obsidian, One LA, BAC500, Harrison 32 EQ, UAD2 OCTO, Focal 6 be, Auratones...
Old 06-21-2024, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BScout View Post
The Avid Video Engine is Intel on Apple Silicon. If you open the macOS Activity Monitor, you can see the video engine process as "Intel" (this with Pro Tools being in native mode.)
Same here.
Old 06-21-2024, 12:03 PM

Are there any problems with video engine on Apple Silicon macs? More? Less than on Intel? Is this just an OCD thing? Surely you must realize that re-coding the video engine is no small feat. Let them fix Midi and latency compensation (latency samples limit raised anyone?) issues first.

cMP 2 x 3,46, 128GB Ram
Monterey 12.7.4
Metric Halo 3d 2882 I/O
Lucid 88192 with Blue Sky 5.1 monitoring
10gbE ethernet with True Nas storage
Old 06-21-2024, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonatee View Post
Are there any problems with video engine on Apple Silicon macs? More? Less than on Intel? Is this just an OCD thing? Surely you must realize that re-coding the video engine is no small feat. Let them fix Midi and latency compensation (latency samples limit raised anyone?) issues first.
The video engine comes from Media Composer. So it isn't a Pro Tools vs Avid Video Engine situation. They have to do it for their flagship NLE. (or maybe they have and haven't ported it to Pro Tools)
And, yes, the AVE still isn't great.
Old 06-21-2024, 04:50 PM

Did anyone else have trouble completing the download of 2024.6 ?
It took me over 30 attempts yesterday, with various browsers, macs, Terminal commands, etc to get it to complete.
Sometimes it would fail after 1GB or so, sometimes every few 100MB, sometimes it could pick up where it left off, then near the end it would completely reset and start again from scratch. I was getting speeds varying from 2MB/sec up to 40MB/sec

Even the Terminal command
HTML Code:
curl -O https://cdn.avid.com/ProTools/2024.6.0/281DIS4T/Pro_Tools_2024.6.0_Mac.dmg
would also stop with multiple errors such as:
curl: (56) Recv failure: Connection reset by peer
or
curl: (55) Send failure: Broken pipe

Finally after hours of frustration I set about 20 different downloads going in parallel with both Safari and Firefox (latest versions), clicking reload each time one failed, and finally got just one to complete.
Is there something substandard going on with Avid's servers ?
I have not had any other large downloads fail consistently like this.
Ethernet/WiFi - same result.

p.s. I just tested again today, and it's doing exactly the same thing. If this is the fault of Avid's server settings, then please fix it for your own sake. It must be at least 10x-ing the load on your servers thru people having to restart again.

A 5GB test file downloaded from https://testfile.org/ got downloaded in 2 mins on the first attempt with zero errors.

Last edited by Tweakhead; 06-22-2024 at 08:16 AM.
Old 06-21-2024, 05:10 PM

Just downloading everything and checking it out.

Tested, RX, RePitch, and Auto-Align ARA. Everything working so far.

Question, I saw BScout mention that everything is perpetual with a support plan with the exception of Auto-Align 2.

Since I already own a perpetual license to Auto-Align 2, I imagine I'll be safe after the 2 month demo expires since the license is on my physical iLok?

Will test the MIDI stuff in a moment!
32 GB unified memory
1TB SSD storage
Ventura 13.6.7
Old 06-21-2024, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Yes, it's an issue, and in my experience it's one more troublesome than MIDI or latency, which I'm not seeing. I don't know how Intels respond -- all my production machines are Silicon.

They've had a very long time to work on this, and it's not the ProTools crew doing the work, it's the video team.

No, it's not OCD. When the video engine crashes it's not possible to work. That's a bit outside the nitpicks of OCD.
Old 06-21-2024, 08:18 PM

Quote:
It's been 4 years now. Since the M1 dev kit was released.

There have been issues ever since the AVE was implemented in PT. Biggest one for me is the fact that it's an external process and has some inherent latency. I'm not sure if they'll ever solve that but at least they can keep the architecture current. And maybe have it use less than 6GB RAM at idle
Old 06-22-2024, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
It's been 4 years now. Since the M1 dev kit was released.

There have been issues ever since the AVE was implemented in PT. Biggest one for me is the fact that it's an external process and has some inherent latency. I'm not sure if they'll ever solve that but at least they can keep the architecture current. And maybe have it use less than 6GB RAM at idle
Interesting. I've never noticed latency other than what is introduced by the HDMI connection (which is only 1 frame). The large RAM grab is also strange. It seems to reserve that amount regardless of what it actually needs.

What is still occurring is the forgetting of the window size on external monitors. With 2024.6 I'm still opening up sessions only to find that the "Full Screen" setting is displaying a much smaller window. The menu says that it's full screen -- it is not.
Old 06-22-2024, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marianna View Post
The Video Engine should be both Apple silicon and Intel already....

Marianna

Thanks for response
Im on Mac pro 6.1 and Monterey 12.7.5
Can I go to 2024.6 HD driver ?