Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 09-29-2022, 01:03 PM

Default Longstanding "Bug" - AudioSuite and Muted Clips

This has existed for as long as I can remember and persists in 2022.9. Running any AudioSuite process across multiple clips where some clips are muted will process and unmute the muted clips.

An ideal fix, in my opinion, would be a checkbox in the AudioSuite plugin (or an option in Pro Tools preferences) to either Skip Muted Clips or Process Muted Clips, but with the result being that any muted clips STAY MUTED, whether or not they get processed.

As it is now, on a dialog edit, I may have muted clips that are alts or for another reason, that I want to stay muted, whether I want them processed or not. On a long show, it's very time consuming to either select chunks of unmuted clips in between the muted ones, or to go back after the AudioSuite process and re-mute the clips that were previously muted.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:11 PM

Default Re: Longstanding "Bug" - AudioSuite and Muted Clips

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
This has existed for as long as I can remember and persists in 2022.9. Running any AudioSuite process across multiple clips where some clips are muted will process and unmute the muted clips.

An ideal fix, in my opinion, would be a checkbox in the AudioSuite plugin (or an option in Pro Tools preferences) to either Skip Muted Clips or Process Muted Clips, but with the result being that any muted clips STAY MUTED, whether or not they get processed.

As it is now, on a dialog edit, I may have muted clips that are alts or for another reason, that I want to stay muted, whether I want them processed or not. On a long show, it's very time consuming to either select chunks of unmuted clips in between the muted ones, or to go back after the AudioSuite process and re-mute the clips that were previously muted.
+1 !
Video Slave 4.3.477
Old 09-30-2022, 12:43 AM

+1
Very good proposal. Can't stop to dream about it.
Old 09-30-2022, 07:05 AM

Good feature request. If you file it with Avid like a bug they can create an official request.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
Good feature request. If you file it with Avid like a bug they can create an official request.
Good point! Will do.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:34 AM

+1

Add it to the feature request section of the lounges and it will get implemented in no time.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post

+1!

Where do we file bugs? Sorry, probably a stupid question...
* Soundtoys + Valhalla + Fabfilter + Spitfire
* RME Fireface UCX II ~ Arturia Keylab Essential 49
* various clarinets, trumpets, flutes, plucky stringy thingies

Last edited by huzzam; 09-30-2022 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-30-2022, 09:20 AM

+1

PT Ultimate - Mac Studio M1 Max - Monterey - RME Fireface UFX II - 2x S1, 1x Dock with an iPad 7th gen - Genelec 8330 5.1 setup
Old 09-30-2022, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
+1!

Where do we file bugs? Sorry, probably a stupid question...
I think to officially file a bug, you have to start a support case and go through the support process, which can be a bit time consuming and frustrating if you get an entry level support person that is reading a script and insists on going through the whole turn it of and back on again, trash preferences, etc. rigmarole.

But somebody please correct me if there's a better way to directly file a bug report.
Old 09-30-2022, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalscottyg View Post
I think to officially file a bug, you have to start a support case and go through the support process, which can be a bit time consuming and frustrating if you get an entry level support person that is reading a script and insists on going through the whole turn it of and back on again, trash preferences, etc. rigmarole.

But somebody please correct me if there's a better way to directly file a bug report.
My main gig is audio editing, but it's for a technology/software company I also help out with testing.

I can assure you there is probably no faster way than this without being involved in the company as a higher up. ONLY the higher ups can achieve calling off the devs from their ONGOING tasks.

In any release cycle, they're still probably working on requests that DID get through to attention about 3-4 months ago. MacOS gives beta versions ahead of time, but that doesn't actually give the same test results as when after it lands. Hence, new PT nearly always getting qualified for a MacOS which is a couple point-updates ahead.

So, even though the idea might be "great" and might be "easy" - that doesn't make the already ongoing work schedule and focus they have easier to quickly shift, pivot, and get right back to work.

Since there are many, many, many users altogether, if the 5-10 or so I saw give this a "+1" ALL got on the case maker and made this THE top rated issue, it will still not be instant, is what I'm saying.

AVID is in the business of providers media makers the tools to meet deadlines reliably. Mostly, when I stick to qualified versions and maintain plug-ins etc, I very rarely have the crashes and problems reported on the forum daily.

They aren't very much for Zero Day Exploits and instant bug fixes. But "+1" on this forum.... NOT on the radar of devs, to be sure.

I totally like the idea of "do not process muted clips, and leave muted" - Another workaround for me (less work conceivably too) would be "select only un/muted clips" to slide em quick to another track. Commands Focus enabled:
"select muted" X ; V
Simple solution there.

Since audiosuite could conceivably be a time effect with a reverb tail going over a muted section, it gets confusing to "process a selection" AND leave a clip muted, and in place, without overlapping things maybe. That makes the options of "leave in place" a LOT more convoluted than it may have appeared when making the suggestion in the first place.

All in all, thinking about it, I just want a way to select all muted or unmuted and put the exactly where I intend before doing an audiosuite. I only want to audiosuite a selection IF all clips are unmuted, now that I think of it....
||software: Sonoma 14.2 | PT Studio 2023.12 | Ableton Live 11 | iZotope RX, Ozone, Neutron | Arturia Pigments | Auto-Tune | Dubler2 //
||system: iMac (Retina 5K, 27", 2020) 10-Core-i9 | 128GB-DDR4 | 5700-XT-16GB | OWC Thunderbolt Hub and Thunderbolt 3 Dock //
||devices: RME Babyface Pro FS | Focusrite Clarett 2Pre | some AT mics | SM58 | Ableton Push 2 | Sennheiser HD 600 HP // Onkyo TX-8220 SR
||automation: SoundFlow | Stream Deck+ | Keyboard Maestro | SteerMouse | MacOS Shortcuts //