Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2000, 10:03 AM

Default Re: EXTREMELY strange exploding sound!!!

It's not related only to 24 bits. I'm working always at 16 bits.

I'm always hitting play from the keyboard: ADB or USB (depends on the Mac)

The only thing in common is Waves
Old 04-16-2000, 05:40 PM

I get that static blast if I try to import a wav. file. If it's an aiff, no problems at all. No plug-ins loaded either.

G4/400/128, running 16 bit session.

Under 'Movie', when you go into 'import sounds from other movie' shouldn't it be able to read and convert wav. files? In conversion, there is a check off, for conversion to AES/Broadcast wav.

[This message has been edited by rdpete (edited April 17, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by rdpete (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old 04-16-2000, 10:53 PM

Hmmm...the only real commonalities I'm seeing in these exploding circumstances is that we've all got sessions opened. It's not linked to word length (24/16bit), Waves plugins (as many people don't have them, but still get the explosion), CPU usage, etc. What can it be? Did everyone have MIDI tracks open in the session that detonated? I don't usually work with MIDI all that much, but my bomb session had one MIDI drum track. This is still pretty strange and a much more widely-spread problem than I had ever thought before I wrote the first post on the subject. Any prgoress, Bob/Digi?
Old 04-17-2000, 06:44 AM

I have had it with 2 sessions that didn't have any MIDI whatsoever, but did have drum loops that were imported and converted from CD (16 bit to 24 bit 44.1 - hmmmm). Seems TO ME, like the plug-ins are the only common thread (except for the one importing a WAV file problem posted above), and not only with the Waves plug-ins.

How about this, has anyone ever had it without a Compressor or EQ plug-in, either Digi, Waves or McDsp (and obviouisly not tried to import a Wav file either). Also when you get the explosion, what do your track meters (and plug-in meters read)? I have noticed that one of the tracks - usually bass, always with a compressor -> EQ, go into the red, where it was metering fine before and no levels changed. I really think it is a plug-in issue for what its worth.

Finally, is everyone importing and/or converting files from CD when this problem occurs? Maybe thats something to explore as well as a possible etiology. (I only do 16 to 24 bit import and converts, for drum loops, keeping the session at 44.1).

[This message has been edited by Frank S (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old 04-17-2000, 09:58 AM

Does it happen only with 128 samples as the buffer setting? I run all my sessions at 128.

------------------
LW

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.
Old 04-17-2000, 02:41 PM

F**K it hurts your ears.

I'm using a Blue & White G4 - 450Mhz, 256MB Ram, 20GB Internal ATA Hard Drive, Adaptec 2906 SCSI adaptor.

CPU usage set to 75%, Buffer size set to 128 Samples.

Here's what I've found.

It ONLY happens when using the Renaissance compressors or EQ's.

(Maybe other plug-ins I don't know of trigger it also, I'm not sure)

It makes no difference whether you're running 24 tracks, or 1 track.
It doesn't matter whether it's a 16 or 24 bit session.

It doesn't matter whether you've got 1 plug-in loaded or 10.

I can only find it happening with the Renaissance plug-ins.

It never seemed to develop a pattern, it was completely random, although it happened a lot.

I work as a Breakfast Producer for a radio station & usually the building is really quiet this early in the morning. So when that distorted noise comes blaring out of my NS10's at 4AM, it REALLY scares the **** out of you.

I've stopped using the Renaissance stuff now and have never had it happen since.

I've made up my mind as to what's at fault,
but am still interested to see what other people have found out

Seeya. Matt.

[This message has been edited by Matt_Bauer (edited April 17, 2000).]
Old 04-17-2000, 08:57 PM

This is also happening during Bounce to disk. I am NOT using any waves plug-ins- only digi standard set.

G4 400; OS 8.6; 192 MB RAM; extra 10GB ATA drive; 24 bit sessions.

It sounds like a digital timing error.???
Old 04-18-2000, 06:56 AM

I would agree with all of the posts so far, except for me:

- MIDI tracks are not used
- No imported audio tracks used - all were recorded in PT

I think Frank S. might be on to something when he wrote:
>I have noticed that one of the tracks - usually bass, always with a compressor -> EQ, go into the red, where it was metering fine before and no levels changed. I really think it is a plug-in issue for what its worth.<

I have also found that the problem is almost always with bass or something else with a large low frequency component.

The mystery continues,

Jeff D.
Old 04-18-2000, 07:52 PM

I am just writing to say I have had the same problem. It doesn't seem to matter if the channel has a plug-in or not. Let's please keep up this thread until Digi gives us an answer on why this is happening.

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2000, 12:55 AM

this problem occured on every single song for one particular project I was doing. I couldn't play through any track completely without it happening- including during bounce to disk!

I adjusted all the variables I could think of, including CPU usage, adding RAM; buffering; removing plugins, playing setions with no edits or automation, with no luck.

This does not seem to be related to the system being over worked, nor to any 3rd party plugins.