Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2022, 11:14 PM

Default Pro Tools CPU Overload with no audio/plugins

I have been trying to get my pro tools running again
I have tried several different Mac OS and Pro Tools Versions
I had Pro Tools 11 working fine on Mac Yosemite
I had to change to Pro Tools 2022 because I hope to use the Native Instruments and UAD Plugins

I keep getting CPU Overloads when trying to run Pro Tools now and it is extremely frustrating

I have not installed any UAD, Native Instruments or 3rd party plugins yet
I rebooted my Mac, deleted everything on it and installed a fresh version of Catalina. I have tried this with Mojave, Big Sur and Monterey as well
Fresh install of Pro Tools 2022
Nothing else installed

I open up Pro Tools, try to record audio onto one audio track and i keep getting CPU overload errors, to the point where it is unusable

I have tried several things so far:
I have disabled/enabled hyperthreading
I have increased the buffer size
I have tried uninstall and reinstall Pro Tools many times
Ive tried wiping my mac completely and installing fresh many times
Ive deleted google chrome and all related files from my mac

Its n older MacBook from 2015, but this is ridiculous
All I want to do is record/play music and Pro Tools is completely unusable for me right now

Can anyone help me figure out what is going on here?
Thank you
Old 09-02-2022, 05:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools CPU Overload with no audio/plugins

What interface are you using?
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.
Old 09-02-2022, 06:00 PM

Info could be a lot clearer.

Start at "Help Us Help You" up the top of ever DUC web page.

What *exact* model/spec Mac do you have? Date code/name? Model or even better EMC number. CPU details/specs, how much memory is installed?

What exact model/spec drive are your recording sessions to?

What exact interface are you using? What driver version?

What exact version of Pro Tools 2022?

You increased buffer size to what exactly? What happens when you run at the largest buffer size? Leave it set at the largest size for now.

What sample rate is the session? (try 44.1 or 48 kHz for now).

Is the computer *fully optimized*? Do every last thing however inconvenient.

What exact AAE error(s) are you getting and what do you need to do to cause one?

Troubleshooting should start with trashing prefs, also test using a new completely empty session, not from a template. Make sure you also create a new admin user and test from there. Test using Built Output as the playback engine (by itself not as an aggregate).

When you do a new clean OS install are you using migration assistant to move stuff over? Don't do that (and if you have start over again). Do a clean install of macOS, install Pro Tools and nothing else and test.

Mentions of reinstalling Pro Tools... this is frequently a waste of time. Look at the stuff documented in standard troubleshooting, and stop wasting time doing this. Reinstalling Pro Tools is something way down the list of stuff to try.
Old 09-02-2022, 11:00 PM

I own a version of pro tools 11, but since updating my os, I've tried to use pro tools 2022.7. I am not sure how to get a version of pro tools 2021, they dont make that very clear on their avid website

I was running Pro Tools 11 on Mac10.10 Yosemite and it was working fine
However, I also own a version of Komplete 10 midi instruments, that I'm trying to use in my pro tools session and the only way to download those is through the Native Access Application which doesn't work with this version of Mac.

What version of OS do i need to use both? If i can't use Pro Tools Artist 2022 on my machine, then it looks like I will need an OS that works with Pro tools 11
Old 09-03-2022, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksong34 View Post
I own a version of pro tools 11, but since updating my os, I've tried to use pro tools 2022.7. I am not sure how to get a version of pro tools 2021, they dont make that very clear on their avid website

I was running Pro Tools 11 on Mac10.10 Yosemite and it was working fine
However, I also own a version of Komplete 10 midi instruments, that I'm trying to use in my pro tools session and the only way to download those is through the Native Access Application which doesn't work with this version of Mac.

What version of OS do i need to use both? If i can't use Pro Tools Artist 2022 on my machine, then it looks like I will need an OS that works with Pro tools 11
As Robruce said, he already gave you the compatibility matrix, so you can work this out yourself. I asked other questions, so after following the compatibility matrix if you are still stuck with Pro Tools problems, focus on answering those, there are specific thoughts behind my questions, especially with things like making sure your Mac is not low on memory etc. so far you have not really provided the basic info expected with an initial post about a problem on DUC.