Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2008, 07:45 AM

Default Installation problems. Now I can\'t uninstall.

OK, here’s the story:

I bought myself a M-Box 2 Mini, and as soon as it arrived, I connected it to my Dell Latitude D820, Intel Core 2 T7200 running @ 2GHZ, 1.5GB of Ram, running Windows XP sp3.
The Found New Hardware window popped up, so I left it open and inserted the Pro-Tools LE 7.4 Installation disk into my drive. Navigated into LE Installer, and double clicked on setup.exe.

The installer opened and everything seemed to go well. I selected the option that enables me to open MAC sessions, as I’m intending to eventually install Pro Tools on my MAcBook, and watched the screen as the installer did its job, until it hanged in the ‘Installing Digidesign Harware” window. Fearful of causing trauma to the installation software, I let it be. Three and a bit hours later, I decided that no consumer software written in the 21st century has the right to take that long to install some drivers, and cancelled the installation.

After a reboot, I went to Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, and selected to remove Digidesign Pro-Tools LE 7.4. I was then presented with the following message:
“Another version of Pro-Tools appears to be installed on this computer. Please use the Add or Remove Programs control panel to uninstall the existing Pro Tools and restart this computer before reinstalling Pro Tools.”

I decided to ignore the obvious fallacy that “Another version of Pro-Tools” is installed in this computer as some sort of software conflict, as the PC is mine and I have never installed another version of Pro Tools.
Short of ideas as to what to do, I attempted to reinstall after a reboot, but that just partially hanged my PC. I could move my mouse, but everything else was unresponsive. The Pro Tools installer didn’t appear to launch. Just in case, I left it untouched for over an hour, but as nothing was happening, I opened my CD drive which opened a message from Pro Tolls telling me drive D: was unavailable. No joke, Sherlock…

I rebooted.

Out of curiosity, I attempted to run Pro Tools, just in case it did work. I was greeted with a message kindly explaining that “this software requires installation of device driver TPkd and a reboot before running. Please reboot and reinstall the software.” After clicking OK, I got another error message informing me the “Application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000142)”

So, I went to the ‘net for advice, and found a couple of suggestions here: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...34&nStartAt=21

So, I downloaded reg cleaner, and removed all Pro Tools entries I could find.
Rebooted
Tried to uninstall; same error message as above. So I try the second option, which is to run setup.exe –fix from Start, Run.

That did kick my CD drive into action, and after an awful long time, the Pro Tools installer launched. After another awful long time ( just about the time it takes to mow the lawn in a standard detached three bedroom house in the south-east of England and have a beer afterward, which is exactly what I did while waiting for Pro Tools to strut its stuff), I was rewarded with the following message:

Error Code: -5006 : 0x8007045d
Error Information:
>SetupNew\SetupDLL.cpp (841)
PAPP:Pro Tools LE
PVENDORigidesign (http://www.digidesign.com)
PGUID:409A13BD-5F3E-442B-BA7B-A1E32B2D8927
$12.0.0.58849
@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) BT_OTHER 256.64

Of course, Pro Tools installer decided to shut down.

Not one to be defeated that easily; I opened the registry editor, and manually removed every Digidesign and Pro Tools entry I could fine. For those of you inclined in these sort of things, you’ll find Pro Tools isn’t the tidiest software writing entries to the registry. They’re all over the place! (what's wrong with keeping them all inside the same folder, or several folders, as most other software packages do? Sorry, I digress) I also found plenty of entries for Pro-Tools version 6.x. Aha! I thought. These are the other versions of Pro Tools the installer is talking about. Interesting they do exist at all, but I guess they must be needed for some backwards compatibility or things like that. Anyway, without hesitation, I deleted all of them. With a snug smile, I confess.

Rebooted, and attempted to uninstall. Same old message. Attempted to reinstall ProTool. PC hangs. Reboot. Look for more Pro Tools Registry entries. Attempted to uninstall. Same error message. Rebooted. Run setup.exe –fix. Leave PC alone and go to the shops with the wife in an effort to convince her I still care about other things in life than that silly little blue box. Returned to find PT installer hasn’t even launched. Reboot. TRied uninstalling again, same error message.

And that’s exactly where I’m at, at this point in time. I tried searching forums and the internet in general, but haven’t been able to find any solution. Any suggestions, ideas, links, etc, will be most appreciated. At the moment, I’ll be delighted if I can simply uninstall Pro Tools. If I can install it afterward and use it, it’ll be a fantastic bonus, but after wasting my entire Sunday (bar cutting the grass and briefly going to the shops), I don;t dare thinking that far ahead.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Default Re: Installation problems. Now I can\'t uninstall.

Try the Pro Tools Uninstall Utility. http://download.digidesign.com/support/cs/ptnuke12.zip and then re install.
Old 07-13-2008, 05:47 PM

Try the Pro Tools Uninstall Utility. http://download.digidesign.com/support/cs/ptnuke12.zip and then re install.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:37 AM

hi i had the same problem for menually uninstaling pro tools contact your support center or write to my email and i can send you instructions of where and what to look for and delete.
as for your problem mbox 2 mini has a bug with a file in windows i have a dell as well so could be something to do with that.

to install pro tools: load your computer in safe mode and go into your drive which is used to run pro tools from ex. C: or D: whatever,

go into WINDOWS folder > system32 > drivers there cut the folder named USBAUDIO.sys and paste it on your desktop. reboot your computer and install pro tools.

pro tools will ask u to reboot at the end of the instaltion, reboot and boot up into safe mode again
cut USBAUDIO.sys from the desktop back to drivers in system32 folder reboot and pro tools should run fine after that.

it worked for me, again i recomand you contact costumer support and they can take you through it step by step. the problem drove me crazy for two weeks now so good luck.

[email protected]
Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 AM

Thank you Dean, that did the trick. Many many thanks...
Old 07-14-2008, 01:56 AM

Hi gera dkb:

Thank you for the suggestion, but once past the partial install/unable to uninstall hurdle, the system seems to work fine for me. Granted, I've only done some basic testing, as I'm new to Pro Tools.
I'll let you (and everyone else reading this) know if I encounter the same issues.

Best,
Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM

Pleased I could help. I had exactly the same problem after mucking up the install a month ago. I tried manually altering the registry and even bought an expensive "guaranteed" uninstall app but nothing I did worked either. Thanks again to Spkguitar for pointing you and I to PTNuke. Anyway, I'm delighted you're up and running.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Smith View Post
Pleased I could help. I had exactly the same problem after mucking up the install a month ago. I tried manually altering the registry and even bought an expensive "guaranteed" uninstall app but nothing I did worked either. Thanks again to Spkguitar for pointing you and I to PTNuke. Anyway, I'm delighted you're up and running.
Thanks guys, I have this same issue as well. I'll follow this suggestion and let you know. Might be a few day however. busy busy busy.
Mine started after using an external DVD/CD drive for installation, since my PC only has a CD rom internally. Anyway, upon plugging in the M Box 2 Mini, it blue screened in the middle of installation (still does when I plug it in even W/O trying to install). Well I can't re-install anyway like I said (same problem as you all). Can't uninstall either ...(same).
BTW, I plugged my M Box Mini into another PC I have, just to see what's up, and found it did (does) the same thing. It blue screens and
mentions usbaudio.sys.
So your fix sounds reeeeally pausible. I can't wait. But may have to.
EDIT:
BUT I DON'T HAVE A FOLDER CALLED THAT!. Just a file in the system32 folder called "usbaudio.sys". Now what?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:53 AM

Talking Re: Installation problems. Now I can\'t uninstall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gera_dkb View Post
go into WINDOWS folder > system32 > drivers there cut the folder named USBAUDIO.sys and paste it on your desktop. reboot your computer and install pro tools.

pro tools will ask u to reboot at the end of the instaltion, reboot and boot up into safe mode again
cut USBAUDIO.sys from the desktop back to drivers in system32 folder reboot and pro tools should run fine after that.

[email protected]
Ah! you meant "file". I should have known since it was stated witha "sys" extension. I did this with success! However, I placed it back again withoout having to boot into safe mode the second time. First time for sure you do, because Windows keeps replacing the file over and over if not in safe mode.
Thanks for your post G.
Now I'm at a point where it's asking for my access key number. I never got this far before. The M-Box isn't rebooting, or "blue screening" any longer! Yay!

I just couldn't wait on this issue.... Now I'm in trouble with the mrs now. I should be doing other things - LOL
Thanks agtain!~