Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2008, 09:02 PM

Default RTAS plugin problem (overloading the system?)

Hi,

Im hoping you can help me. Im having a weird problem where all our RTAS plugins default to bypass mode and cannot be turned on in our typical deafult template. Our template is reasonably large (48 tracks with various sends). Looking at the CPU and system usage things seem fine. This occurs with ANY RTAS plugin. However i can get around it by placing any TDM plugin first in the chain and then loading up the RTAS plugs following it. Just means that ive gotta load a basic 10band TDM EQ on every channel just to use an RTAS plug! Any ideas?

Thanks,
James
Old 10-01-2008, 12:34 AM

Default Re: RTAS plugin problem (overloading the system?)

Well you are probably using a template that is from an LE setup I assume. In PT HD 7, you cannot use RTAS plugins inserted in "real time" on the track when armed to record. It (as you've seen) will automatically bypass them during tracking. They will then be active again for playback once you take the track out of record. So you can only use the TDM plugs. I have used the 'ol TDM before the RTAS trick in a pinch but find it to be buggy sometimes. Other like to bus out to an AUX track with the RTAS inserted there. The HD session will allow you to keep an RTAS plugin active during tracking in that setup. I have found mixed results with various plugins however. Sometimes strange things happen. Spooky things.

Good Luck!

J
Old 10-01-2008, 08:26 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. No our template was setup on the current HD system. I should explain alittle about how we work. We compose and track in cubase, then run 48 channels from there into PT for monitoring and mixing. I dont need to record arm tracks unless of course im ready to record stuff in. So this shouldnt be whats causing this as it happens when tracks are not record enabled. However, we are of course monitoring the input of all tracks - will this affect things? Even still though, this problem also occurs for any rewire tracks i might have from Ableton Live or reason. Because they run as RTAS plugs i have to load up a TDM plug on each rewire track just to hear something. This is not right surely! Must admit i am more used to the VST system and such things are just not a consideration.

Jim
Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atardecer View Post
Hi,

Im hoping you can help me. Im having a weird problem where all our RTAS plugins default to bypass mode and cannot be turned on in our typical deafult template. Our template is reasonably large (48 tracks with various sends). Looking at the CPU and system usage things seem fine. This occurs with ANY RTAS plugin. However i can get around it by placing any TDM plugin first in the chain and then loading up the RTAS plugs following it. Just means that ive gotta load a basic 10band TDM EQ on every channel just to use an RTAS plug! Any ideas?

Thanks,
James

The common practice for mixing in protools is usually to bus the audio from two or more mono tracks to one or more stereo AUX tracks, and THERE you install the plugins. there are of course exceptions to the rule, but this is the 'standard' practice. after all the biggest advantage that HD has over LE is track counts.....