Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2021, 12:00 AM

Default PT session from a T5 SSD

Has anyone had issues with running/writing/producing a PT session from a Samsung T5 SSD?

Thanks
G
Old 02-19-2021, 03:34 AM

Default Re: PT session from a T5 SSD

Never used one, but I was immediately suspicious when I looked up the drive and read about "built-in encryption". This is a red-flag in my book, even though they claim it doesn't affect performance.

This reddit thread makes for an interesting read:
https://www.reddit.com/r/VeraCrypt/c...encryption_on/

Did you enable/disable encryption, or reformat the drive when purchased new for your system ? mac or pc ?

I always reformat a new drive myself (Mac OS Extended Journaled). I then disable Spotlight indexing on any audio drive. (I use 3rd party apps for searching drives).

After opening a session, do you wait for your entire session to buffer into RAM before hitting play ?
Old 02-19-2021, 03:54 AM

The T5 is pretty straight-forward and there's no need to run encryption on it.
The T7 has some fingerprint security mechanism which is probably best avoided.

The T5 is a USB disk and pretty fast, provided you connect it to a fast USB port which isn't suffering from any contention. I'll let you use the excellent Wikipedia page to determine if you are actuallly using a fast USB port - things are not always obvious. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

Internal SSD is generally more reliable - no cables to go bad, no connectors to wear out etc, but plenty of people run video editing sessions from external drives without trouble. I personally prefer to copy everything to internal SSD and then copy the sessions out to external disk for backup and transfer, but I don't work with video and I'm never in a hurry.

There were some issues with T5 disks and CCC at one point, but these have been overcome with updates to CCC.
Old 02-19-2021, 07:22 AM

Has anyone had issues with running/writing/producing a PT session from a Samsung T5 SSD?

I've used them exclusively for the last few years. Never had a single problem. Mixing only though. Big sessions, not a glitch. I always run them off a dedicated USB port. They're super portable for taking sessions between studio and home. No power supplies. Would highly recommend.
Haven't tried the T7 model yet.

Last edited by RichR; 02-19-2021 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:29 AM

Running T5 and T7 drives as main sample library and recording session drives. Never an issue.
Old 02-19-2021, 08:48 AM

If it is USB3 drive your throughput is determined by that buss. Does not matter if the SSD would transfer terabyte a second, it is limited by USB3. That is enough for plenty, but there are other options for more performance once you need it.
Old 02-19-2021, 10:41 AM

Using it for over a year now.
Flawless so far
Old 02-26-2021, 12:41 AM

Thank you for the feedback
Old 02-27-2021, 12:16 PM

I have a mix of T3, T5 and T7 now. It's all I've worked off of for several years. Zero issues with any of them.
Old 02-28-2021, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
If it is USB3 drive your throughput is determined by that buss. Does not matter if the SSD would transfer terabyte a second, it is limited by USB3. That is enough for plenty, but there are other options for more performance once you need it.
Agreed. It's great to have SSD portability when it's needed, but when it's not, I'd much rather work with PCie nvme's for their superior performance.