Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2021, 08:35 AM

Default Apollo>Outboard Gear(EQ)>Manley Variable Mu> back to DAW. HOW to set Up.

I'm using an Apollo 8X, with Pro tools. I want to set up some outboard gear. For the main mix out. Basically, before I send it for Mastering.
Mainly: Submix out> EQ>Compressor and back in.
How do I set this up? Does it work?
Also, I love the 8X, but would it make a difference (in sound) if I use a Burl ADC, to come back in?
Thoughts please.

Thanks

Peter
Old 08-26-2021, 11:49 AM

Default Re: Apollo>Outboard Gear(EQ)>Manley Variable Mu> back to DAW. HOW to set Up.

2 ways to do this:
#1- Simply send the mix out via any pair of outputs(but NOT the main outs). Connect the outputs of the Manley to any pair of inputs on the Apollo. Assign to a new stereo track(pay attention to routing so you don't create a feedback loop) and record the signal.

#2-Create a 2-channel hardware insert with a matching pair of IO(IOW, inputs 7&8 paired with outputs 7&8). This happens in the IO setup>Insert tab. Add the hardware insert as you would any other insert(plugin), tweak to taste, Bounce Mix.

More thoughts:
re the Burl converter, try it and see if either sounds better(I would bet the Burl will win, but maybe not by a lot).
re adding stuff to the master track before sending it to mastering; that's traditionally NOT a good practice(because it can get in the way of what the ME wants to do). In this case, I would send 2 versions of the final; 1 with NO processing on the master and 1 WITH your processing as an example of what you are looking for(and tell the ME what you used).

Regarding delay compensation; in either scenario, it doesn't matter because the final mix doesn't need to be sample-accurate to the original tracks, and inserts on the master are not compensated for anyway.(I know you didn't ask, but someone else might be curious)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 08-27-2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: extra info
Old 08-28-2021, 04:36 AM

Default Re: Apollo>Outboard Gear(EQ)>Manley Variable Mu> back to DAW. HOW to set Up.

Wouldn't clocking issues arise using two different converters for the ins and outs?

QAPLA!
Old 08-28-2021, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Wouldn't clocking issues arise using two different converters for the ins and outs?
The Burl would need to be clocked with the Apollo, for sure. I made the assumption that the OP already knows about clocking if he owns the gear(but you do raise a good point)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave