Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 04-25-2021, 02:55 PM

Default Now that Eleven Rack drivers work in Catalina, does Eleven Rack Editor also work?

I installed the Eleven Rack new driver 1.2.14 and I'm now able to use Eleven Rack with my 2019 Mac Pro running Catalina, alongside my HD Native card and my HD Omni I/O. I can reamp using Eleven Rack through SPDIF or switch to either interface for sessions.

Any word on whether Eleven Rack Editor will work correctly in Catalina now or if it might be updated to do so in the future?

Thanks!

PT 2021.3.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 04-25-2021, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Now that Eleven Rack drivers work in Catalina, does Eleven Rack Editor also work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post

Any word on whether Eleven Rack Editor will work correctly in Catalina now or if it might be updated to do so in the future?

Thanks!
I’ve been able to use 11R editor all along with Catalina. Both as completely stand alone and the mini 11R window within Pro Tools.

So please forgive my ignorance, but what’s the issue?

"If the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence, well, it is likely due to the amount of manure being spread on that side of the fence." Cowboy Bob

Squaw Creek Road Studio

Bob
Pro Tools Ultimate (2023.3)| Pro Tools Carbon | Sibelius Ultimate (2023.3)
|
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor iMac w/40GB RAM | 1TB SSD | macOS Ventura 13.3.1 |

Avid Eleven Rack ERXP | Focusrite Clarett 8Pre X | Lenovo i7 ThinkPad | Win 7 Professional | Avid 003 + Rack |

Old 04-25-2021, 07:20 PM

Default Re: Now that Eleven Rack drivers work in Catalina, does Eleven Rack Editor also work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
I’ve been able to use 11R editor all along with Catalina. Both as completely stand alone and the mini 11R window within Pro Tools.

So please forgive my ignorance, but what’s the issue?
No issue really. I wasn't aware if the 11R editor was working in Catalina and had read some other posts where people were having issues trying to use it in Catalina a while back. Now that the updated driver has the 11R working well in Catalina, I thought I'd ask first here before installing it to head off any issues if it still had any.

Your reply was what I was hoping for. Thanks!

PT 2021.3.1 Ultimate, 7,1 Mac Pro -12 Core, 96 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD system and apps, 2 TB Accelsior RAID 0 SSD projects / HD Native card with HD Omni, Eleven Rack, UAD Quad PCIe, UAD TB3 OCTO satellite, MOTU midi express 128 // Mac Pro 4,1 - 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 32 GB RAM, OS 10.10.5 Yosemite, PT 11.3.2
Old 04-25-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeM View Post
No issue really. I wasn't aware if the 11R editor was working in Catalina and had read some other posts where people were having issues trying to use it in Catalina a while back. Now that the updated driver has the 11R working well in Catalina, I thought I'd ask first here before installing it to head off any issues if it still had any.

Your reply was what I was hoping for. Thanks!
Well, guess I spoke too soon. I just installed it, rebooted and continually get: "Error Initializing Eleven Rack MIDI Engine" when I try to launch the editor. This was the issue another poster was mentioning.

I tried launching the editor first, launching after PT was running (with 11R as the playback engine and also with HD Natives playback engine) but it fails to launch all times.

Any ideas as to what I might be missing or any suggestions?

TIA

Old 04-25-2021, 08:06 PM

Googling the issue led to this post from Avid:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...tor&popup=true

They advise creating another user account and migrating to it but that isn't practical for me.

Reading through this thread:
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=351337&page=2

Stuart Peck wrote:
Re: Editor - Error Initializing MIDI Engine
Hi,

I know this is an old thread but wanted to elaborate as I feel the Avid line isn't exactly the correct way to resolve this issue per se.

It is true that creating a new user will solve this but it is also true that this is a 'sledgehammer to crack a nut' approach. We don't have time to migrate all these settings and preferences when the user account isn't the cause of the fault.

The issue is due to the Avid midi setting that is created by default when you first turn on the Avid 11 rack. Quit pro tools, turn off the 11 rack and remove the 11 rack setting that is currently greyed out in your audio/midi settings. Turn on the 11 rack and you will see that it creates a new setting in your configuration window. In some cases, this will solve the 'Error Initializing MIDI Engine' when using the Eleven rack editor, a better approach is to create a new Midi configuration .

Go to /Applications/Utilities/Audio MIDI Setup and under 'window' click 'show midi window'

This will bring up your midi set up, on the left you have a configuration drop down which will probably be set to Default. Drop this menu down and create new, name the configuration. You will have to set up your devices again but when you start or plug in your USB devices it will create new settings.

This will solve the 'Error Initializing MIDI Engine' error when starting up Eleven rack Editor.

Hope this helps

Thanks, Stuart

I'm going to try what he suggests and see if it resolves the issue.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:18 PM

Update:

I had no luck getting 11R editor to work trying the steps that Stuart Peck outlined in the post above.

However, I tried the steps Eric Beaty posted two posts down from Stuart Peck and his solution worked for me. Here's his followup post:

-----------------------------------------------

Re: Editor - Error Initializing MIDI Engine
It's October 31, 2020 (the 11R Editor is waaaaay overdue an update; it's several OS's behind on Mac), and I couldn't get 11R Editor working all of a sudden on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019). So I figured I'd add this post to help anyone else struggling in the 2020s.

I just followed the User Guide's specific steps on installing the driver (I just related the steps to a Mac OS). The key, I think, was leaving the USB unplugged until the computer restarted.

Here's the exact process I got this to work for Mac OS Catalina 10.15.7:

1. Unplug 11R USB from computer
2. Make sure 11R power is OFF
3. Uninstall/Re-install 11R Driver (the one appearing in System Prefs)
4. Allow computer to restart after reinstalling 11R driver
5. Once the computer has restarted, turn on 11R
6. Plug 11R USB back into dedicated USB port (directly in computer, NOT a USB hub)
7. Restart once more
8. Launch 11R Editor and it should work. You’ll know it’s working if you see the Load screen running with the progress bar as it’s indexing the rigs.

Sadly, I feel it's only a matter of time before the 11R Editor becomes obsolete. It would be nice to see someone else (like ToneLib) either take over the development or create a completely new editor design, even if it's just for the sake of saving/loading rigs & presets.

Hope this helps someone else,

Eric Beaty