Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 12-08-2020, 11:12 PM

Default Re: So, no renewal. We stay at 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
You and me both. As well as a lot of other Avid customers. The question is - what is Avid's problem? Is it upper management?
Maybe I'm too cynical, but it seems to me like yet another example of corporate capitalism's inevitable prioritization of profit over customer experience. It's happened with so many companies. Corporations have a fiduciary duty to do what will maximize shareholder profits, so if strong-arming people into subscription models while simultaneously defunding development and bug fixing, and cutting customer support means more profits, then that's what they will do.

I am in the process of retiring from professional music production. I bought a perpetual academic license a couple of years ago while I was in school (after being on HD for a decade; I couldn't justify the $2500 to upgrade from HD10 to HD12), and one final annual support plan before the price went up. Watching what Avid is doing is making me feel very lucky to be getting out of it now. I can keep using academic until my Mac Pro dies. But I'm glad not to be giving Avid any more of my money.

/rant
Old 12-08-2020, 11:13 PM

Maybe yes or no
Old 12-09-2020, 12:04 AM

I recently renewed at the new price of $199 (previously $99) which, as a hobbyist user, probably doesn’t make sense compared to occasionally paying for a month at a time or switching to e.g. Logic. However, I also didn’t want to waste much time deliberating such a change, migration, etc., especially when I still perceive value in my previous ‘investment’ in my perpetual licence.

I do not doubt that Avid’s commercial approach over recent years has been positive for their bottom line, and using all these financial/product levers in order to increase their recurring revenues will surely by now have resulted in users finding their place within Pro Tools products or beyond.

Considering the cost of PT is now high relative to competitor DAWs, possibly a better reflection of the supposed ‘pro’ stature of the product, and with plenty of more general justifications for any gesture that alleviates financial pressures on small businesses in this sector, maybe the permanent reinstatement of the reinstatement option e.g. at 150% the price of an upgrade plan, would now be reasonable so that perpetual users could build this into their own plans.

Avid’s P&L may well be benefitting from all of this through fewer customers/users, in the same way that SAP has fewer customers than Adobe. However, I’m not convinced this reflects the direction of travel in the industries in which Avid is involved and might not be ideal in the long run.

Last edited by Righty27; 12-09-2020 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:07 AM

Avid are loaded with debt. And they have a massive Board/Exec team who are all very well remunerated. See attached, from their 2019 accounts (publicly available). Six of the seven paid $1m+ per annum. That's where most of your money is going. Not to customer support or developers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (41.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominicperry View Post
Avid are loaded with debt. And they have a massive Board/Exec team who are all very well remunerated. See attached, from their 2019 accounts (publicly available). Six of the seven paid $1m+ per annum. That's where most of your money is going. Not to customer support or developers.
Is that serious? OMG this is unbelievable. This is not good...no...not good at all.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:30 AM

Yup, very serious. Here's the whole accounts - on Avid's site.

https://ir.avid.com/static-files/f84...8-3601b2c96981
Old 12-09-2020, 04:53 AM

I think it is quite possible to have a company that meets the current demands in terms of market and remunerative capitalism, at the same time as it responds to its customers and to the competition. More than possible, it is even desirable. And that should bring even more customers, and therefore money. There is a possible match. The problem with Avid is not there, essentially. He is in a mysterious stubbornness in seeing only himself, and in the inability of his development team to appreciate the successes his competitors are experiencing. Developing ARA, is it that hard? Developing Expressions Maps, or an Avid-signed system, is it that difficult? Allowing macros or parallel shortcuts (I would say without being able to modify existing shortcuts), is it that difficult? Making the link with Softude for its Console 1, is it so difficult? Removing excessive penalties for breaks, or establishing a more respectful mechanic, is it so difficult? No. No more than it was years ago when PT abandoned the requirement to use its own systems (some of which were very bad). These elements of liberation for PT would bring a gain to the company. - Same thing for Sibelius, which is being crushed by Dorico (among other things by Dorico's ability to automate controllers for playback and to create major templates for VST instruments). - etc., etc. Avid just seems incapable of doing this. It is not technical incapacity, because Avid demonstrates a great art of programming at times. I think it is blindness. I have known a lot of in-house companies, big and small. They are like individuals. There are psychological and cultural blockages. This is the case with Avid.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-09-2020, 09:14 AM

The defensiveness of Avid loyalists here does not help anyone. I see mods justifying all kinds of bugs with spurious and pathetic reasons. Apologising for Avid's pricing really just takes the cake though

With Avid's policies which somehow get more and more appalling over time, new users are not going to be attracted to this platform. The app will eventually be seen as some kind of SAW Studio for weird old men and it will die.

My plan of action - my support period expires in a few days. I'm going to buy a reinstatement and hold it in reserve. I'll trigger it if Avid ever fixes some of the serious bugs, assuming they don't drop support for my OS (10.13) in the meantime. I don't really expect the former to happen, and fully expect the latter to happen probably in the next version. So at that point I'll just sell the reinstatement code to someone who still cares.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasp_t12 View Post
The defensiveness of Avid loyalists here does not help anyone. I see mods justifying all kinds of bugs with spurious and pathetic reasons. Apologising for Avid's pricing really just takes the cake though

With Avid's policies which somehow get more and more appalling over time, new users are not going to be attracted to this platform. The app will eventually be seen as some kind of SAW Studio for weird old men and it will die.

My plan of action - my support period expires in a few days. I'm going to buy a reinstatement and hold it in reserve. I'll trigger it if Avid ever fixes some of the serious bugs, assuming they don't drop support for my OS (10.13) in the meantime. I don't really expect the former to happen, and fully expect the latter to happen probably in the next version. So at that point I'll just sell the reinstatement code to someone who still cares.
Can we buy a reinstatement without activating it? (at today's price for later?)
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 12-09-2020, 10:09 AM

Oh snap I never thought of that. I remember when they're gonna up the price from 99 to 199 people were stocking up on the old price. Never thought about activating it later. But I also thought that once you're expired you have to pay full price? It's kind of confusing. Where can we confirm that we can activate the license past expiration?