Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-15-2021, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Will native PT(ultimate) ever gets Delay Comp in Sidechains?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown_BE View Post
could you tell us your workaround?
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=377469

Scroll to response #10 I posted back in 2016 on this topic.

It still seems to work. Only hurdle would be when you want a trigger track to feed more than one sidechain destination with different plugin delay amounts on each track. Then I supposed you'd need multiple dedicated trigger tracks, one for each destination.
Pro Tools|Ultimate 2023.12
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 03-16-2021, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=377469

Scroll to response #10 I posted back in 2016 on this topic.

It still seems to work. Only hurdle would be when you want a trigger track to feed more than one sidechain destination with different plugin delay amounts on each track. Then I supposed you'd need multiple dedicated trigger tracks, one for each destination.
This whole thread is great. thank you for posting this hint. sucks we gotta do these tests ourselves but appreciate everyone trying to find and share work arounds.
Old 05-20-2021, 05:50 PM

I've been meaning to chime in here for a while. Got over dealing with this problem for years. The best solution requiring no messy workarounds to date is this secret weapon - VPS Multiband Sidechain v3. I've been using this for about a year or two now with major success.

I do a lot of mixing for electronic productions and so my need for sidechaining is on a daily basis. FTR I use a lot of heavy duty plugins, including UAD and so far it works 99% of the time (I've had one or two sessions where for some reason it doesn't report the transmitter audio accurately).

It works by placing its 'transmitter' plugin on a track (i.e. a kick drum) - I usually place it as the last plugin on the desired trigger track. Just to clarify this does NOT utilize a bus, but it's basically as simple as you're just using an insert slot to send the audio. The corresponding Multiband plugin can then access the transmitter audio using "Audio" source (you can also use a MIDI track or Host sync, which is helpful).

The compressor is super clean and the multiband functionality is actually very helpful, but of course can be used in a full band mode with the two bands linked.

You do need one of those eLicenser things, which is a total drag, but not nearly as much as calculating samples and compensating manually. Happy to not be in those days anymore.

Hope that helps.

https://www.vengeance-sound.com/plug...d%20Sidechain3
Old 05-31-2021, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agoraphobia View Post
The best solution requiring no messy workarounds to date is this secret weapon - VPS Multiband Sidechain v3. I've been using this for about a year or two now with major success.
thanks for sharing this agoraphobia. Very cool, will have to check it out.
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 05-31-2021, 09:55 AM

Have a (hopeful) update. I submitted a formal case about this issue to Avid support, as an active support patron, about 2 months ago. Should have done this years ago. They finally got back to me a couple weeks ago, apologizing for the delay and attributing it to a large influx of support cases they'd recently received.

They asked me to send an actual video recreating the problem, so I obliged. I had to check in a few times to make sure someone accessed and downloaded the video and my extensive notes describing the problem and explaining my recreation of it. I used a very simple session with just two audio tracks to illustrate the issue, hoping that would make it abundantly clear that this is a very base-level issue with the software and not the result of some overly complicated session with bonkers routings.

This is the response I got from Avid support yesterday:

"I got word from the Engineering Department that this issue was a legit bug and it will be fixed in the next update of Pro Tools."

Now, I'm not quite sure how seriously to take this reply yet, but if it's true...?!! Goodness oh me, will I be extremely happy if they are actually planning to roll out the fix for this horrible issue in the next PT release. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic since the first response to my case was that there was "no definite timeframe when it will get a fix," but then changing to the response above when I checked in with them about my video. But I can hope.

Just wanted to share what I heard.
HD Native Thunderbolt
HD I/O 16x16 Analog
Old 05-31-2021, 11:01 AM

My guess is that this will be fixed along with the Hybrid Engine release. As we know, the current native mix engine can't do sidechain ADC, and that's the engine all HDX users will suddenly have with Hybrid Engine.
Old 05-31-2021, 11:21 AM

This is what I really hope for. I don’t know anything about writing recording software but I could imagine the new hybrid engine sort of closes the gap between the dsp architecture and the native side. It could quite make sense that all things delay compensation are related to one piece of software that has to function correctly with HDX/dsp hardware and also has to function with any interface natively. I would be really really thankful if they could finally adres this delay compensation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
My guess is that this will be fixed along with the Hybrid Engine release. As we know, the current native mix engine can't do sidechain ADC, and that's the engine all HDX users will suddenly have with Hybrid Engine.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverH View Post
Have a (hopeful) update. I submitted a formal case about this issue to Avid support, as an active support patron, about 2 months ago. Should have done this years ago. They finally got back to me a couple weeks ago, apologizing for the delay and attributing it to a large influx of support cases they'd recently received.

They asked me to send an actual video recreating the problem, so I obliged. I had to check in a few times to make sure someone accessed and downloaded the video and my extensive notes describing the problem and explaining my recreation of it. I used a very simple session with just two audio tracks to illustrate the issue, hoping that would make it abundantly clear that this is a very base-level issue with the software and not the result of some overly complicated session with bonkers routings.

This is the response I got from Avid support yesterday:

"I got word from the Engineering Department that this issue was a legit bug and it will be fixed in the next update of Pro Tools."

Now, I'm not quite sure how seriously to take this reply yet, but if it's true...?!! Goodness oh me, will I be extremely happy if they are actually planning to roll out the fix for this horrible issue in the next PT release. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic since the first response to my case was that there was "no definite timeframe when it will get a fix," but then changing to the response above when I checked in with them about my video. But I can hope.

Just wanted to share what I heard.
Thanks for being so proactive with this OliverH!

I'm interpreting their response in two ways:

1) You've done a great job at actually demonstrating a very basic and fundamental flaw and that they will indeed find the bug and fix it in the next release.

2) More realistically it's not a 'legit bug' and that they're saying they'll have it fixed in the next release because it'll likely be the Hybrid Engine rebuild and they can kind of scoot around the fact sidechains never actually worked in the current environment.

In either case whatever gets the damn thing to work I'll be happy with. In the meantime I guess I'll keep rocking VPS Multiband 3.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:45 PM

Hallelujah they fixed it! But there's a bug. If you enable sidechain compensation, it won't disable when you uncheck the box. You have to relaunch the app. But why would anyone turn it off?