Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2022, 09:22 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release

Working well so far for me on macOS 10.14.6. No conflicts with my archaic (FireWire) UAD2 hardware.

Great to see the expanded automation controls and surround mixing features extended to the standard product. Add me to the chorus of users unhappy about the abandonment of perpetual licenses. I'm also not too keen about the prospect of paying $1000USD just for Field Recorder Track workflows. I'd be inclined to pay that much once for a Nuendo license instead for Audio Post contracts.
Old 05-03-2022, 01:14 PM

I updated to Pro Tools 2022.4 recently and am now experiencing a bizarre glitch on my video track. I prefer to mostly work in "block" mode, but after a few minutes of editing, the track switches itself to "frames" mode. It has happened dozens of times and I can't figure out what's triggering it. I never experienced this in older ProTools versions. Anybody else having this happen? Any solutions?

I am on Big Sur 11.2. Any info appreciated!
Old 05-03-2022, 01:35 PM

I get this error in 2022.4 anytime i drag and drop files from my desktop. Never did this before. 2018 Mac Mini on Catalina.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 1.29.09 PM.jpg (82.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-03-2022, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samxnova View Post
I'm having Graphic issues when zooming vertically. started to happen only in 2022.4 - the previous versions worked without any problem on the same MAC with exact same settings.

here is the link to a video of it:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Nzc...ew?usp=sharing

Oddly enough on my Hackintosh, this is happening only on my Windows11 drive. On my macOS 10.15.7 drive, it's functioning as expected.

Gigabyte Z490 Vision D - BIOS F21b
Intel Core I9 10850K Windows11 / macOS 12.7.4 Hackintosh / 32GB of Rams
Avid Carbon/HDX 2024.3 Ultimate - 8x8x8 HD I/O - PT Dock - PT Control - Artist Mix (1)
Universal Audio Apollo Twin|X - UAD2 Pci-E and Satellite USB Octo v.11.0.1 - SOLO 610 - Twin-finity
Bricasti M7 (2)
Lexicon PCM96
Neumann KH805 - KH310
Yamaha NS-10M
Avantone Mixcubes
Grace Design M905
Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-04-2022, 06:54 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 2022.4 Release - specific "Studio" question

I currently have Pro Tools Ultimate/2021.12

I work from home, doing post production audio and setup up everything with surround panning, pre mix in 5.1/stereo, and finish in studios with clients on final mix day.

I don't have HDX, carbon, or anything like that. My only interface is currently a Scarlett 18i8, and everything works great.

A couple of years ago I specifically upgraded from vanilla to get clip effects, all automation modes (especially trim), surround tracks/routing, little things like 'coalesce clip gain to automation', track folders/routing, automatic downmix with ability to change the downmix parameters in the preferences, etc.

Am I missing anything? I'll get all this with "Studio"? It's almost 1/3 the cost of "Flex", and seems too good to be true, but maybe it isn't.

I guess the main question is what does Flex offer that Studio doesn't, other than HDX/Carbon support/higher track count/IO...are there any software/shortcut/feature nerfs with Studio?

EDIT:

I found the detailed comparison and went through ALL the tabs.

Well, I found ONE 'gotcha', (at least for me)...

Studio has only 1 video track, and doesn't allow for 'advanced video editing'. Probably not that big of a deal for users working on 1 thing at a time, but I'm constantly working on multiple spots, duplicating videos for different versions, importing additional videos for spots as the job progresses, etc. I never use more than 1 video track per-se, but I do move things around. I actually forgot that was a huge annoyance with 'vanilla' and the video track being so fussy. I just have to decide if that's worth the saving for me.

I was SOOOO close.

Last edited by DJEJPRO; 05-04-2022 at 07:10 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
Working well so far for me on macOS 10.14.6. No conflicts with my archaic (FireWire) UAD2 hardware.

Great to see the expanded automation controls and surround mixing features extended to the standard product. Add me to the chorus of users unhappy about the abandonment of perpetual licenses. I'm also not too keen about the prospect of paying $1000USD just for Field Recorder Track workflows. I'd be inclined to pay that much once for a Nuendo license instead for Audio Post contracts.
I can't understand why software based features are excluded between Studio and Flex.

Your comment about the Field Recorder Track workflows makes me think about how editable video tracks was omitted too.

Those are 'software' things...that differentiation is unlikely to be the deciding factor whether large pro studios have to get flex or not...they're already gonna do that anyway mainly because of the hardware situation (and most likely the I/O in general).

I work in post and "Studio" would've been plenty for me...the omission of editable video tracks is a HUGE bummer.
Old 05-04-2022, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEJPRO View Post
I currently have Pro Tools Ultimate/2021.12

I work from home, doing post production audio and setup up everything with surround panning, pre mix in 5.1/stereo, and finish in studios with clients on final mix day.

I don't have HDX, carbon, or anything like that. My only interface is currently a Scarlett 18i8, and everything works great.

A couple of years ago I specifically upgraded from vanilla to get clip effects, all automation modes (especially trim), surround tracks/routing, little things like 'coalesce clip gain to automation', track folders/routing, automatic downmix with ability to change the downmix parameters in the preferences, etc.

Am I missing anything? I'll get all this with "Studio"? It's almost 1/3 the cost of "Flex", and seems too good to be true, but maybe it isn't.

I guess the main question is what does Flex offer that Studio doesn't, other than HDX/Carbon support/higher track count/IO...are there any software/shortcut/feature nerfs with Studio?
To clarify Studio does have Carbon support ,, Artist does not.
But correct only 1 video track and no "advanced video editing " what ever that means ?

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 05-04-2022, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
To clarify Studio does have Carbon support ,, Artist does not.
But correct only 1 video track and no "advanced video editing " what ever that means ?
Gotcha, sorry I misquoted that.

The video editing is basically if you want more than 1 video on the video track/time line, and need to copy/cut/paste them around. Not really 'advanced', other than it's the only version that can do that. Unfortunately, that's a big feature missing in Studio for me, and seems like the only one from holding me back.

Very much looking forward to custom shortcuts that can be assigned to deep, buried (and previously un-shortcut assigned) menu items. This will be absolutely amazing for us streamdeck users!

Last edited by DJEJPRO; 05-04-2022 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-04-2022, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEJPRO View Post
Gotcha, sorry I misquoted that.

The video editing is basically if you want more than 1 video on the video track/time line, and need to copy/cut/paste them around. Not really 'advanced', other than it's the only version that can do that. Unfortunately, that's a big feature missing in Studio for me, and seems like the only one from holding me back. I'm currently on an Ultimate subscription (so basically Flex as well)...may have to keep it that way.

Very much looking forward to custom shortcuts that can be assigned to deep, buried (and previously un-shortcut assigned) menu items. This will be absolutely amazing for us streamdeck users!
Old 05-04-2022, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbaumakl View Post
I updated to Pro Tools 2022.4 recently and am now experiencing a bizarre glitch on my video track. I prefer to mostly work in "block" mode, but after a few minutes of editing, the track switches itself to "frames" mode. It has happened dozens of times and I can't figure out what's triggering it. I never experienced this in older ProTools versions. Anybody else having this happen? Any solutions?

I am on Big Sur 11.2. Any info appreciated!
In Protools 2022.4, If you hold option and toggle from Volume to Waveform view on one of your audio tracks, then the video track will switch from Blocks to Frames view. This did not used to happen with previous PT versions.