Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2023, 03:26 AM

Default Undipped Dolby Atmos Mix

Hi,

I am putting together a workflow and delvierable list for a Dolby Atmos production, I am more accustomed to traditional workflows, and one issue I have come up against and would like some help on is undipped stems and though this was the best place to ask.

The content we work on is documentary with narration and we will be producting a Dolby Atmos Mix and from that a 5.1 and 2.0 deliverable. We would also like to then export an Atmos DM&E mix but naturally that will be dipped for narration and sometimes foreign language dubbing.

What is then the process for creating undipped M&E or DME stems from an Atmos mix. Would you not do that and instead archive the ProTools session to revisit downstream or create a new session of the atmos mix and remove narration/dips to create an alternative Atmos mix that you could them produce undipped M&E and DME stems?

We would like to end up with the following deliverbales and looking for advice on how to produce the undipped files

Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM Dipped with Narration
5.1 Wav Dipped with Narration
2.0 Wav Dipped with Narration

DM&E Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM Dipped
DM&E 5.1 Wav Dipped Stems
DM&E 2.0 Wav Dipped Stems

DM&E Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM undipped
DM&E 5.1 Wav undipped Stems
DM&E 2.0 Wav undipped Stems

Appreciate any advice anyone has

Ian
Old 03-28-2023, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Undipped Dolby Atmos Mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian_grey View Post

Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM Dipped with Narration
5.1 Wav Dipped with Narration
2.0 Wav Dipped with Narration

DM&E Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM Dipped
DM&E 5.1 Wav Dipped Stems
DM&E 2.0 Wav Dipped Stems
Create all of these within the Renderer using re-renders of your individual food groups. The DM&E will be a separate pass.

Quote:
DM&E Dolby Atmos BWAV ADM undipped
DM&E 5.1 Wav undipped Stems
DM&E 2.0 Wav undipped Stems
Do a save session as, flatten out all of your automation for the necessary channels. Repeat as above in the Renderer.

Remember, you can offline bounce an ADM file within Pro Tools with all Re-renders included as long as the Renderer is included.

I’m not sure of your system setup, whether your working with an RMU, multiple Pro Tools systems, dubbed workflow, Dolby Production Suite, etc.

Also, depending on your Pro Tools version, some of these options may not be available to you, ie offline bouncing an ADM file.