Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2023, 06:27 PM

Default ‘65 Blackface Tone

Hey group! Ray3 here…..

Looking to get that warm, tube tone. Looked at the ‘65 Dream pedal and UA interfaces..

Anyone know of a simple, power on/off without crashing an app on Ventura? Also nothing like a dang, ‘virus’ that needs special security or kernel privileges?

Just looking for a simple solution to practice on. I have been using a simple ART Mixer with a tube instrument pre. All I am trying to do is plug my guitar in and practice with that warm tube tone from a ‘65 blackface while using an app on my Mac for backing tracks.

Also looking for a way to use some ‘verb and FX. Really would dream about a mixer that I can plug my guitar into and add fix/amp sims while listening to tracks from my mac. Could care less if I controlled settings from hardware or software.

Anyone who even took the time to read this, thank you!

-ray3
Old 02-15-2023, 07:02 PM

Default Re: ‘65 Blackface Tone

What was lacking/wrong with the '65 Dream pedal?

Is recording what you play a part of your practice?

If you have something like that pedal then drive the mixer with that and an output from the computer into anther input on the mixer and output to full range speakers. If you want a sound like a live guitar amp in the room you want high output level capable full range monitors, like stage monitors. Something like a QSC K8 (or pair of them). You will not get close with low-power small desktop monitors.

A used Eleven Rack is still a fantastic stand-alone guitar processor (I have three ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). You don't need to use it as an interface unless you want to, but it will work as an interface on recent Intel Macs, but not Apple silicone ones, although it's been claimed here Avid is working on an Apple Silicon native driver. As larger amp emulators go it's maybe one of the simplest to use and you can pick up a used one for a few hundred dollars. If you want to do that say so and I'll give you some tips on buying a used unit.

None of these amp sims boxes or amp sim software is likely to sound great without you taking some some time to dial the settings in, don't expect to just run a preset and it sounds like what you want (or what the preset claims).