How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11

Old 10-28-2022, 01:59 PM

Default Help with ancient system running PT 11 error message AAE -6085

Hello Friends,
I keep running into this error message after about 1-2 minutes of recording:
“The audio device buffer underflowed. If this occurs frequently, try decreasing the "H/W Buffer Size” in the Playback Engine Panel or remove other devices from the audio FireWire bus. (AAE - 6085)

My system is admittedly a bit long in the the tooth:
2008 Mac Pro with 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Yosemite
16 GB of memory
1TB Seagate SATA hard drive 7200 rpm
Digi 003 rack (not the plus version). It’s been upgraded by Black Lion Audio and has been a great sounding interface for my needs.

Yes, it’s probably time for an upgrade BUT I’m trying to eek out another year or two on this bad boy :)
A little bit of background; I’ve been primarily making music outside a DAW environment for the last five or so years but I did upgrade from PT10 to PT11 a few years back and I changed the hard drive I record onto from a 500GB Seagate to a 1TB Seagate as I was running out of space about two years ago. But that’s about it with the major changes to my DAW over the last few years. Perhaps when I upgraded from PT10 to 11 I forgot to turn off some hot keys in the Mac preferences that interfere with PT?

I’m wondering if anyone has any tips to stop the error message - it happens even if I drop buffer way down to the lowest possible size. I tried turning off Bluetooth and it didn’t make a difference. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-29-2022, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Help with ancient system running PT 11 error message AAE -6085

Is it one session or all sessions? Open the session while holding the SHIFT key to make all plugins inactive and see if that helps. If it does, then it could be a bad plugin(most likely a 3rd party plugin) that may need an update or just uninstall and re-install(making sure the installer you have is compatible with your OS)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 10-30-2022, 06:15 PM

Thanks for the reply! It happens every session, with and without plugins active. I *think* it’s a FireWire cable issue and have replaced the o.g. that came with the Digi003 with one I’ve had laying around the house. I will update once I’m certain that’s the cause of the problem (or not).
Old 10-30-2022, 06:35 PM

What other firewire devices are connected to that Mac?

Remove them all except the interface.

Yes, test with a different Firewire cable sounds like you are (hopefully one you can test works elsewhere as well).

For device safety. Do not hot plug/unplug any Firewire peripherals. Do that with the mac and device powered off.

Go though and fully optimize the system. See Help Us Help You up the top of every DUC web page. Check again if you think you have done that already. Do every last thing and leave them all done while you look for other issues. So bluetooth off, Ethernet./WiFi disconnected, etc. etc.

Do standard troubleshooting, including trashing prefs, including testing from a new Admin account, etc.

Look out for background processes, web browsers etc. Just have nothing else running.