Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 12.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarvold View Post
So, so many of the dozen or so plugs I use all the time are not DSP. I believe this is a HUGE part of the reason HDX has been so slow to be adopted. I own 2 HDX cards and sometimes I find myself in a position of having to defend my decision for buying 'the good hardware' to intelligent people who also own Avid hardware and software. It's like the way Avid's business strategy turned out was to silence any of us 'ambassadors' who are happy with our hardware because we feel stupid--even vulnerable--defending our decision.
Same here. As someone has already pointed out maybe the HDX price reduction will increase sales and provide more of an incentive for developers to get on board.

It would have helped if the price reductions had been greater. Economy of scale etc.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:18 AM

mmarvold and Marsdy: Exactly.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:20 AM

I own PT HD and I'm not all that jazzed about the new features in 12.6. Not sure I'd ever use clip based editing, I think it'd get confusing, I like seeing my plugins on a track and knowing what they're doing. If I need different ones, I simple use a different track. Fades and transparent playlists etc are good but don't even seem that new. The two new features I'd like to see the most are:

1.) track presets - the ability to easily save my presets combinations and apply them effortless to one or multiple tracks.
2.) buss presets - the ability to easy toggle between output settings I choose across a project. For example. Let's say I have my Outputs set to my main speakers, then I want to switch them my headphone outs across multiple tracks. But not like it is now where you might screw up your busses. I know you can do similar things now but I just want this to be easier. I have a hearback system and I'm not big into setting up headphone sends.
3.) better ways to visualize plugins - I'm sure others have ideas here.

But screw new features. Fix core audio and improve stability and we're good!
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 09-11-2016, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
1.) track presets - the ability to easily save my presets combinations and apply them effortless to one or multiple tracks.
Track Presets. Track Presets. Track Presets. Yes.
Old 09-11-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAXLTD View Post
Track Presets. Track Presets. Track Presets. Yes.
But will core audio be fixed ????????

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 09-11-2016, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maarvold View Post
So, so many of the dozen or so plugs I use all the time are not DSP. I believe this is a HUGE part of the reason HDX has been so slow to be adopted. I own 2 HDX cards and sometimes I find myself in a position of having to defend my decision for buying 'the good hardware' to intelligent people who also own Avid hardware and software. It's like the way Avid's business strategy turned out was to silence any of us 'ambassadors' who are happy with our hardware because we feel stupid--even vulnerable--defending our decision.

I think Avid's business strategy was put together by executives that have never used the product, yet read a document that routinely mentions "the industry standard" on a daily basis. It has been very "our way or the highway" in the most unpredictable way.

Bringing all HD TDM plugin developers, and all HD TDM users to the HDX platform should have been the goal from day one. The former seems to have gone up in a puff of smoke from what appears to be a difference in opinion between Avid and a group of plugin developers. HDX doesn't have nearly the shiny "ooh! ahhh" factor that the release of HD did in comparison. The latter seems to have brewed itself overtime. Spending $7000+ on a Waves Mercury Bundle only to find PT HD10 is the absolute end of the line for any DSP processing is pretty rough. Then throw in the series of abrupt licensing changes on top of the next system costs...

Ironically, I think if Avid had have introduced the support and subscription pricing and these new series of changes to hardware pricing when they first announced PT11, most users would have copped it on the chin a little more willingly. A new system, and entirely new terms so to speak. Avid's business model seems based on leaving an air of utter uncertainty for all its users. Who knows what 2017 will bring. Haha.

If Avid used similar kinds of brute force "our way or the highway" approaches with AAX-DSP developers, I wouldn't be surprised if they alienated them forever. I doubt I am the only HD user that has transitioned to PT vanilla. While I totally welcome the changes in pricing and system structure... I have already seen the light, and that light consists of giving Avid as little of my money as physically possible.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
But will core audio be fixed ????????
Sadly, I don't think it's going to happen any time soon. I wish this were not the case, but it just doesn't seem to be, or have been, a priority.
Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
I think Avid's business strategy was put together by executives that have never used the product, yet read a document that routinely mentions "the industry standard" on a daily basis. It has been very "our way or the highway" in the most unpredictable way.

Bringing all HD TDM plugin developers, and all HD TDM users to the HDX platform should have been the goal from day one. The former seems to have gone up in a puff of smoke from what appears to be a difference in opinion between Avid and a group of plugin developers. HDX doesn't have nearly the shiny "ooh! ahhh" factor that the release of HD did in comparison. The latter seems to have brewed itself overtime. Spending $7000+ on a Waves Mercury Bundle only to find PT HD10 is the absolute end of the line for any DSP processing is pretty rough. Then throw in the series of abrupt licensing changes on top of the next system costs...

Ironically, I think if Avid had have introduced the support and subscription pricing and these new series of changes to hardware pricing when they first announced PT11, most users would have copped it on the chin a little more willingly. A new system, and entirely new terms so to speak. Avid's business model seems based on leaving an air of utter uncertainty for all its users. Who knows what 2017 will bring. Haha.

If Avid used similar kinds of brute force "our way or the highway" approaches with AAX-DSP developers, I wouldn't be surprised if they alienated them forever. I doubt I am the only HD user that has transitioned to PT vanilla. While I totally welcome the changes in pricing and system structure... I have already seen the light, and that light consists of giving Avid as little of my money as physically possible.
Absolutely agree. I've done the same - ditch HD in favour of vanilla. It makes it much easier at look at other DAWS without thinking "well yes, but I've $x,000 invested in PT".

As I see it, Avid is "run" (and I use that word in the broadest sense) by a bunch of money-grabbing-our-way-or-the-highway blinkered incompetents who have spectacularly plucked defeat from the jaws of victory.
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 09-12-2016, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
As far as I understand it this feature only works with Eq and Compressor, nothing outside of the actual plugin.
Yeah and this ainīt that great unfortunately imo because there are many more applications for clip effects using Delay, Reverb, Modulation etc.
I canīt find a lot use for EQ and Comp only on single clips. Thatīs stuff you can automate or just use Audio Suite for. For some filter effects, telephone voices etc...I donīt know...

In Reaper DAW for example they have been using clip effects for a long time and you can use any 3rd party plugin for it. And it even does work reliably from my personal experience.

Sure Pro Tools does offer a much higher level of quality than these other DAWs at the end of the day but itīs a pity they have limited this interesting feature to EQ and Comp only.
They could have limited it to Avid/AIR effects (no 3rd party) if necessary in their view but EQ and Comp only? What for? Iīm not sure...I donīt know...

Bummer.
Old 09-12-2016, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Only if 12.7 fixes all the new bugs released in 12.6.
Darryl, with respect, you have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

There are a lot of VERY dedicated people at Avid doing an excellent job under very difficult circumstances given Avid's current top level of management.

Whether you believe me is up to you but I can say this from first hand experience and may get into trouble for saying so.