Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2016, 10:11 AM

Default Re: Just paid my yearly upgrade PT fee, feeling ill...

It'd be nice to get some actual assurances from Avid that they are working on bug fixes, core audio, support for Sierra and (ha!) new features. Can we move beyond the speculation? How hard would it be to email subscribers progress updates on a monthly basis instead of the ad slicks we get now? Is Avid actually listening to us? Cause I'm not feeling it. Who agrees?
Studio: 2021 Mac Studio Ultra M1 20 Core CPU, 48 Core GPU, 64GB Ram, 4TB SSD boot | Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12 | PreSonus Quantum 4848 interface| MOTU 112D interface | Digi PRE, FR OctoPre MKII, Mackie Onyx 800R, Panasonic WZ-AD96M (x2) and DA7, Eleven Rack, Apogee Big Ben, Mercury, Rode K2, Slate VMS ML-1 (x2). Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5559, i7-6500U 2.6Ghz, 16 GB RAM, 15.6" 1920x1080 1TB SSD
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM

Any communication would help. Sometimes it's like Avid doesn't acknowledge their users exist unless you have paid support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin1524 View Post
It'd be nice to get some actual assurances from Avid that they are working on bug fixes, core audio, support for Sierra and (ha!) new features. Can we move beyond the speculation? How hard would it be to email subscribers progress updates on a monthly basis instead of the ad slicks we get now? Is Avid actually listening to us? Cause I'm not feeling it. Who agrees?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:53 AM

12.5.1 wasn't bad at all for me. Updated to 12.5.2 this week and got two "Out of CPU" errors within my first hour of use. And the session wasn't doing anything but playing back. There was like 4 plugins in the whole session and a couple of tracks had a little volume automation. And the session was only about 15 tracks.

UAD 2 Apollo Quad w/Thunderbolt 3, UAD 2 Satellite Octo TB3, UAD 2 Octo PCIe, Avid S1, Neve R6 500 Chasis, Neve Portico 511, Neve Portico 551, Dangerous DBox+, Focal Trio6 Be, Neumann TLM49, Akai MPC 2000XL, Akai MPC X, Mackie 1202VLZ Pro, Akai Advance 61

Pro Tools 2021.12

Mac Pro 7,1 2019, 8 Core, 48GB RAM - MacOS 11.6.2

16" MacBook Pro 2021, M1 Pro, 16GB RAM - MacOS 12.1

27" iMac, Late-2012, 3.4GHz i7, 24GB RAM - MacOS 10.15
Old 08-23-2016, 12:13 PM

Quote:
How hard would it be to implement a few things from the ideascale? Like track presets?
Or improve their industry-lagging Elastic Audio (which is substandard at this point). No one is using cloud collaboration, and it'll never push past 2% of users. Track Presets is something almost everyone can use right now and we've asked for it for YEARS. Same with Elastic Audio. If I'm feeling a need to switch DAWS, then I see that as a sign that AVID is not listening hard enough to their user base. So many topics in Ideascale have been dying on the vine for many years. I don't even post there anymore because no one is listening.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:17 PM

Quote:

This is a good idea. Maybe this should have its own thread . A call for action by all subscribers for a progress report and newsletter once a month so we can see whether any future updates are going to benefit our individual needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nige108 View Post
This is a good idea. Maybe this should have its own thread . A call for action by all subscribers for a progress report and newsletter once a month so we can see whether any future updates are going to benefit our individual needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats a good idea but as we all know Avid has never and probably will never disclose timetables and hardware/software progress. If we wanted to have a thread about thsi it's ideascale that this type of request should be. This is a user forum and not a Avid contact place unfortunately. Yes licenses gone and subscription issues maybe but serious Avid questions directed at Avid should be on ideascale for best exposure.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-23-2016, 12:51 PM

It's a weird catch 22. On one hand, I feel I should pull the plug on my subscription to - you know - teach Avid a lesson, vote with my dollars, yada yada yada, etc, etc, etc.

However, I think most of us feel (or are afraid) that the moment we quit, is when Avid will deliver the goods. Who wants to miss that AND be penalized with a higher fee to re-up, if such an event were to ever occur?

That is why a number of us continue to pay...

tg
Mac Studio (2022) M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.5 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Pro Tools Studio 2024.3 / Nuendo 13 / Reaper 7 / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X
Old 08-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Funny- I was thinking about my pending upgrade today. I'm due in November. I bought Studio One V3.2 a few months ago on sale for $299 and have been slowly getting to know it. V3.2 of S1 is close to having the editing behavior of PT.

In addition I have a lot of UAD plugs and am thinking I could cascade a few Apollo's and get a decent system.

I definitely want to do it right and truly see what's out there as a possible replacement for tracking and mixing. I do love PT but I'm always trashing prefs and for half the cost of last year's upgrade I got another company's flagship.

Not apples to apples perhaps but not apples to oranges either.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.

Last edited by Carl Lie; 08-23-2016 at 03:59 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
I don't see it like this Zed...I see it as protecting my investment to assure myself that I workable software at whatever OS I happen to be at....

On the other hand I don't enjoy it but do it anyway because it's the best safest thing for me and my investment.

Nor will I do it forever, just long enough to ensure I have a stable release.

It's an interesting dichotomy for sure.
Do you not think that Avid have not considered this already? i.e. put out a release with all bugs fixed (that will never happen) then everyone says "thanks, at last I have a working system - now I'm out of this"

What happens then if you change your computer or OS and PT doesn't work? You'll need a PT update and so you'll need a subscription.

Either way you look at it, we're either tied into PT or we go elsewhere.

And no, I'm not supporting Avid here. It's disgusting the way that they treat their customers. Remember, it's customers that keep your company going...
FaceBook
MySpace
Old 08-24-2016, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Or improve their industry-lagging Elastic Audio (which is substandard at this point).
Can you elaborate on this? If you could compare it to Reaper, the only other DAW I'm familiar with and still use on occasion, that'd be great. But any comparison would be cool.