Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2000, 03:08 PM

Default Auto fades in PT 5.0?

I heard there is an option in PT 5.0 that lets you set fades for the beginning and ending of every region automatically.

I have a series of drum hits that click on and off and I'd rather not have to fade each one manually.

How can I do this?
Old 02-04-2000, 03:25 PM

Default Re: Auto fades in PT 5.0?

Go to, Setup > Preferences, then click the "Operations" button. At the bottom of the window one of the lines says, "Fade in/out length" followed by a box to type in the milliseconds. 0 milliseconds is off and 10 milliseconds is the maximum you can use.
Old 02-05-2000, 08:48 AM

There is also a second way to accomplish this. With PT 4.0 digi added automatic crossfades. You select two or more regions and selecting command-f brought up the auto crossfade dialog. Now, with 5.0 the auto fade dialog includes a few extra features, including auto creation of fade-ins and fade-outs.

The setting in the preferences menu has two limitations. One, it is a system pref, therefore it does not stay with your session if you send it to someone else. If they don't have it set as you did, you may get inconsistent results, including the return of the clicks if they have theirs set to zero. On the other hand, the auto create option is permanent and will be with your session always. The other limitation is that sometimes when you throw out your preferences (while trouble shooting) it may cause it to reset to zero, bringing back the clicks.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Charles

[This message has been edited by Charles Dye (edited February 05, 2000).]

eSession | MiLaR Forum | Facebook | MySpace | MiLaR | PSN | HdL | Projects | MiLaR Workshop

Check out John Ralston "Sorry Vampire"
Old 02-06-2000, 09:29 AM

There is a problem with the autofade preference in PT 5.0. In addition to fading in/out free standing regions, it also puts a fade-out/in at every boundary between adjacent regions. This creates a drop out at every region boundary and renders it unusable for me. I used to use it in dialogue editing. Hopefully it will be fixed in later versions.