Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2003, 11:33 PM

Default OT : Just installed Panther (preview)...

and HOLY CRAP is it fast! Has a bunch of new tweaks here and there and the interface is prolly the fastest I've ever seen on an OS - really amazing.

I've noticed that half the stuff I usually do (network tweaks, etc), has always been up to whatever hack / app I can find - seems like Apple's been paying attention because now you can do all that stuff within the OS - very nice.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up (those that care), that we've got something very, very cool heading our way soon - can't wait to get Pro Tools up and running on the final release... I can only imagine how badass this is going to be running on the G5.... [img]images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 06-25-2003, 11:47 PM

Default Re: OT : Just installed Panther (preview)...

have you tried running anything cpu intensive to see if it's fast because it's more streamlined or fast because the interface sucks even more juice away from applications than Jaguar currently does ?

It would be excellent if Panther was not only fast but actually allowed more cpu power for applications to use on single cpu systems.

Thanks for the info, it's good to hear.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John H:
It would be excellent if Panther was not only fast but actually allowed more cpu power for applications to use on single cpu systems.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Well, if you have a Quartz Extreme compatible GPU then your CPU will hardly touch the interface.

That's part of the reason to upgrade to a G4/5 to run OS X. Quartz Extreme and Altivec.

(Tho, I wouldn't be surprised if the next iteration of iBooks use IBMs altivec enabled G3 chips)

s
Old 06-26-2003, 01:44 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

If I'm not mistaken, the G3 series of processors are made by Motorola...or has that changed now, too... [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 06:56 AM

You are mistaken- the G3's in iBooks have been made by IBM for quite some time now. S'ok though, easy mistake to make. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 08:35 AM

sounds cool.... how bout some pics? what are you running on it? PT?

ken;
Old 06-26-2003, 09:30 AM

This is very encouraging news. thank you!!!!

www.npstudios.com
Old 06-26-2003, 09:49 AM

Location: From: Trinidad (Humboldt Co.); living: somewhere between Chicago and St.Louis...

Quote:
Originally posted by Slim Shady:
You are mistaken- the G3's in iBooks have been made by IBM for quite some time now. S'ok though, easy mistake to make. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">...I stand corrected...okay, I can sit down now... [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-26-2003, 09:52 AM

Anytime where02190 - as much as you've helped all of us out, glad I could bring you some good news [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

And ken, if you or anyone else is interested, I would be glad to post some pix - maybe give me an idea what your looking to see - it will have to be late tonight since I'm about to head out for work so...

Something else I found out to be very, very cool - while in my normal Admin account, I started exporting an mp3 out of QuickTime into an MPEG-4 file - while doing so, I logged into another account on the fly, and when I came back to my original account, QuickTime was still exporting!!! When I came back, it was almost finished - so it seems that processes are still running in the background even when switching Users - way cool! I would love to see if on one user you could be doing something like video rendering and then switching to another user for Pro Tools recording - curious to see how it would affect system performance, etc - but a very cool feature!

And just think, this isn't even the final build yet!
[img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Pro Tools 6.4
Digi 001
Old 06-26-2003, 01:59 PM

Has anyone tried running protools in panther yet? I'll try it tonight.