Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2010, 02:13 PM

Default SRW-5500 layback problem

Hello,
I recently seem to have developed an issue controlling a SRW-5500 during layback. The deck will switch to preread for no apparent reason when I begin layback, and my monitoring off the tape gets all screwy. This doesn't happen on the newer SR decks we have that don't use preread. This is a relatively new issue and I can't seem to get it sorted out. Please help!

Thanks
---Burleigh
Old 05-07-2010, 10:25 AM

Default Re: SRW-5500 layback problem

I've read here on the forum about this issue happening in 7.4, but I'm on 8.0.3 Does anyone else have this issue?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM

i don't understand the problem. can you describe exactly what is happening when you insert?
Old 05-07-2010, 01:01 PM

We had this happen quite a bit. The problem was when we had record tracks set in Pro Tools. When we flipped from our Machine Transport to Pro Tools transport and punched in, the machine would flip. We got around this by not recording into Pro Tools and laying back to tape at the same time.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdangler View Post
Hello,
I recently seem to have developed an issue controlling a SRW-5500 during layback. The deck will switch to preread for no apparent reason when I begin layback, and my monitoring off the tape gets all screwy. This doesn't happen on the newer SR decks we have that don't use preread. This is a relatively new issue and I can't seem to get it sorted out. Please help!

Thanks
---Burleigh
Denver, CO
Old 05-07-2010, 02:44 PM

Thanks for your replies.

This problem happens only on our gray 5500 decks. I am laying back 4 channels of audio and 4 channels of dolby e to the machine. I am also recording the output of all my tracks as mix stems in PT. Everything seems to work out in the end, but after a little while of laying back, I am unable to monitor the dolby tracks back off the tape. They are recording to the tape because the data is there when I stop, rewind, and playback. For some reason, the deck kicks itself into preread somewhere along the way and I can't monitor properly. Like I said, this doesn't happen on the newer black 5500s, so I try to grab those for layback when I can, but I'd prefer to get to the root of this problem....
Old 05-07-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
We had this happen quite a bit. The problem was when we had record tracks set in Pro Tools. When we flipped from our Machine Transport to Pro Tools transport and punched in, the machine would flip. We got around this by not recording into Pro Tools and laying back to tape at the same time.

Randall
I get around this but driving the na==machine from the deck not machine control. This way the deck has no idea PT is in record.
Best
Brandon
Old 05-08-2010, 07:05 AM

Now that I think about it, I have experienced this on the grey model. And I totally forget how I got around it. I would try setting the AES output phase to either FC or SD instead of line.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:35 AM

Question Re: SRW-5500 layback problem

Do you have the latest firmware for the SRW? That might be implicated, and it probably won't hurt to have it anyway.