Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2011, 03:10 PM

Default Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

Hey AVID...

Any news on these issues?

What's the beef?

Best
Per H.
Old 09-05-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perh View Post
Hey AVID...

Any news on these issues?

What's the beef?

Best
Per H.

Per, this is really 99.5% a forum for users to communicate with each other, it's not a constant direct line to AVID tech support at the level that these issues are dealt with. My personal experience with this unit is that if your only issue is the headphone one and you can work around it by taking the master outs into a separate headphone amp (not using its headphone path at all) you should.

If anyone has problems that hinder the workflow that have no workaround (such as suddenly needing reboots that only clear issues up sometimes) they shouldn't be waiting for a fix at this late stage. The box is over nine months old. No doubt if they discover a way to make it stable it'll be put into the mBox 4 Pro or whatever, but the 3 Pro is what it is. If you can use it, great, it's a terrific sounding box. If you can't I can't imagine it being worth waiting another nine months for word from AVID of a fix.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbasil View Post
Per, this is really 99.5% a forum for users to communicate with each other, it's not a constant direct line to AVID tech support at the level that these issues are dealt with. My personal experience with this unit is that if your only issue is the headphone one and you can work around it by taking the master outs into a separate headphone amp (not using its headphone path at all) you should.

If anyone has problems that hinder the workflow that have no workaround (such as suddenly needing reboots that only clear issues up sometimes) they shouldn't be waiting for a fix at this late stage. The box is over nine months old. No doubt if they discover a way to make it stable it'll be put into the mBox 4 Pro or whatever, but the 3 Pro is what it is. If you can use it, great, it's a terrific sounding box. If you can't I can't imagine it being worth waiting another nine months for word from AVID of a fix.
jbasil. First of all - NO. It's not the only problem. If you have read my former posts, you will eventually figure out about my problems that hinder the workflow. You don't have to look specific for my posts.
But even if there wasn't problems of serious character, I would still expect a slight degree of response regarding "minor headphone problems", as part of what one would regard as normal customer support. It still appears for a great number of Mbox 3 Pro owners, along with other less minor problems.

You believe that we have to be thankful for a piece of hardware with reduced functionality, just as long as the sound quality is great.
I doubt many share your opinion. According to the rules and regulations in the country where I live and in most others, I am always able to return the box within a year of purchase. Even if AVID wont respond or for some very surreal reason regard this (minor problem) as normal behavior. I wonder who has to pay for this? One thing is sure. It's certainly not me.

So in other words - I do believe that AVID does take their customers serious. It would be wise to do on the long term.

This is just to answer your statement which appears to me as rather stupid.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:20 AM

Per, you have completely misread my post. I apologize if in my choice of words for brevity I gave that impression. I am NOT saying one should be satisfied with a unit that doesn't work as advertised. What I am saying is that I can't imagine, given AVID's history this past year, that any good news will come down the pike for current mBox 3 pro owners, and that if you can muster a workaround it will probably be more worthwhile than any other option, and that if you have a worse situation then you shouldn't hang on waiting for word of a fix from AVID because it's not in the cards. IOW, find another rig for recording and either return it or eat the cost. I am not saying this is right, I'm saying this is the fact. They're not making non-working rigs working.

There has been 9 months of silence on this unit's issues. As far as taking this customer niche seriously, I simply believe it's not fixable with a download and that's the end of it or we would already have it. You can play that however it works for you.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:11 AM

jbasil. Maybe I misunderstood you on the term of what to expect from companies. My apologies...
But this is interesting: 3 weeks ago - the AVID support guy wrote this right after "raising my voice" a couple of times:

"Sorry for the late reply - I wanted to try to get more info on this before posting.

This issue is something we are working on, though I don't have a projected date for a fix yet. I'll try to update this thread as I get more info..."

- so there is a slight communication going on. Not rather satisfying, as it did'nt answer what's going to happen. However it is still a response. So that's why I think it might be worth to still keep complaining. 9 months on the market and then demanding a response after a 3 week response, saying: "we are working on it" from AVID, I think is not too much pressure from my side or others.

But - yes. There is good reason to believe nothing will ever happen after this long time. And I won't be waiting forever either.
With patience - I can work with it, but I won't bring it on stage(as I could with the Mbox2pro - never failing on me). That says it all.
I wanted the Mbox3pro because I thought it was about time to go for higher fidelity.

But because I / we managed to get contact, I think it's "still" worth a try.

Com'on AVID. Is there anybody out there????
Old 09-12-2011, 04:32 AM

Unhappy Re: Occasional headphone out problems with Mbox 3 Pro

I too, like many many of you, am experiencing this problem (amongst others). Surely the guys at Avid must be able to fix such a simple problem! I bought my mbox pro in early 2011, the sole reason was to be able to run pro tools (I'm a bit of a audio noob so was oblivious to the coming launch of PT 9). I actually wish I just waited and bought a RME or something else which works reliably.

so..

AVID guy please chip in again! It would be great if you could let us know how this fix is coming along as it has been many months.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:58 AM

I just received my mboxpro 3 back from Avid support and the problem seems to be gone. Both headphone outs work fine now (for some hours at least...) I can´t say what they´ve done, the info sheet just sais "repaired".
Old 09-12-2011, 11:06 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.coddington View Post
I too, like many many of you, am experiencing this problem (amongst others). Surely the guys at Avid must be able to fix such a simple problem! I bought my mbox pro in early 2011, the sole reason was to be able to run pro tools (I'm a bit of a audio noob so was oblivious to the coming launch of PT 9). I actually wish I just waited and bought a RME or something else which works reliably.

so..

AVID guy please chip in again! It would be great if you could let us know how this fix is coming along as it has been many months.
We're still working on this and, for various reasons, I can't give anything more than that info.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:42 AM

This still has not been fixed.

Trashing prefs does not fix this problem for me. Neither does restarting the mbox or the computer.

I've installed the latest version of PT9. Each time I read through the PDF and am disappointed to find the issues I'm experiencing have not been addressed.

Totally bummed with PT9 and mbox 3 pro.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 PM

bad for avid, the mbox 3 pro has almost no compatibility with pro tools 9.0.5. constantly loose sync , the headphones randomly works, daisychaining a lacie d2 quadra doesn't work, i get the same stability running the drive through usb or firewire and always i get the error -6085. im using a macbook pro i5 ->mbox 3 pro-> drive, i tried too, mb->drive->mbox. i thrashed the prefs, repair permissions and still having this, working randomly. just a shame.
this it's my second mbox by the way.