Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 05-03-2011, 12:40 PM

Default Opinion needed re RME ADI-2 converter

I'm running PT9 via an 003 console clocked to a Black Lion Micro Clock MK2 in my studio.

The BL Clock makes a big difference over the stock 003 clock - worth every penny spent, that's for sure.

From what I understand, I can do better than the stock converters in my 003 as well...of course, I'd love to go the Apogee/Lynx route but current budget limits are restricting me to looking at the RME ADI-2, which seems to be a decent unit for the price.

My question is this: since I am already clocking to a much better source, would the addition of the RME have a noticeable impact in my system - or is this just splitting hairs at my level of gear?

A reliable source advises that at this price point and level of gear, I have already made a significant improvement in my system via the BL Clock and while the addition WOULD make a difference, it may not be an appreciable one enough to justify the expense.

Just looking for a second opinion(s) before I pull the trigger on this or not. Times are tough and if this move isn't one that would make a drastic difference in my rig, then I'll hold off until I can afford a major overhaul of my system and go HD.

Thanks!

Pro Tools 9 / Digidesign 003 Console / Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26 GHz Intel Xeon / OS X / 8 GB RAM / Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk II / M-Audio AxiomPro 61 / Presonus Studio Channel and Eureka Channel Strips, Faderport USB Controller and Central Station Control Center / ART Headamp 6 Pro / M-Audio Uno 1 x 1 / Yamaha DTX Express IV Special / POD X3 Live / Yamaha HS50-HS10 combo, M-Audio AV40 / Plugins galore
Old 05-06-2011, 07:53 PM

Default Re: Opinion needed re RME ADI-2 converter

Bump - anyone have an opinion one way or another? Thanks!

Pro Tools 9 / Digidesign 003 Console / Mac Pro 8 Core 2.26 GHz Intel Xeon / OS X / 8 GB RAM / Black Lion Audio Micro Clock Mk II / M-Audio AxiomPro 61 / Presonus Studio Channel and Eureka Channel Strips, Faderport USB Controller and Central Station Control Center / ART Headamp 6 Pro / M-Audio Uno 1 x 1 / Yamaha DTX Express IV Special / POD X3 Live / Yamaha HS50-HS10 combo, M-Audio AV40 / Plugins galore
Old 05-06-2011, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minimutt View Post
Bump - anyone have an opinion one way or another? Thanks!
You don't mention what pres you'll be using with the converter. You will have to have pres to need a converter. Unless you're using line level gear such as a keyboard that you will plug straight into the converter.

Also I've not used any of the gear you mentioned but if the clock helped the stock pres it will definitely help the line inputs. So IMO you really would only need the converter if you wanted more inputs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-12-2011, 02:32 PM

Default Re: Opinion needed re RME ADI-2 converter

Thanks for the reply, that makes sense to me and echoes what my other source advised...so that's good enough for me!