Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2009, 08:13 AM

Default Fader Meter Behavior in PT8 and Fader Weights

Can someone explain to me a bit about setting the weight of the faders meters? I understand that it has to do with voltage (as once explained to me by O.G. Killa) but I don't think I have the proper equipment to calibrate correctly, and am not sure what the exact difference would be between
-18dbs & -16dbs and how that would effect the behavior of the fader Or the look of the meter?

Are those my only 2 options as well -18 and -16? It seems like a free text field.

Thanks

D
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1
Old 01-07-2009, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Fader Meter Behavior in PT8 and Fader Weights

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFord View Post
Can someone explain to me a bit about setting the weight of the faders meters? I understand that it has to do with voltage (as once explained to me by O.G. Killa) but I don't think I have the proper equipment to calibrate correctly, and am not sure what the exact difference would be between
-18dbs & -16dbs and how that would effect the behavior of the fader Or the look of the meter?

Are those my only 2 options as well -18 and -16? It seems like a free text field.

Thanks

D
I haven't upgraded to PT8 yet, but I can't find any mention of this feature in any of the PT8 documentation... where are you seeing this?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

It's got nothing to do with voltage as most digital meters measure relative to "digital full scale"...
Old 01-07-2009, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It's got nothing to do with voltage as most digital meters measure relative to "digital full scale"...
Uh oh... here we go again! LOL

Your "calibration reference level" on a digital meter is in reference to an analog voltage measured at the output of your interface. That's what Dr. Ford was alluding to. There was a big, heated discussion/debate about this over in the PTHD tips forum.

There is also some confusion about it sometimes. For example, -15dBfs on a 002 will have the exact same analog output volume as a PTHD 192 IO (Using Trim A) at -18dBfs or a 192 IO (Using Trim B) at -20dBfs.

Since +4dBu is used as the reference voltage level for most professional audio equipment, with a volt meter connected to the outputs of your interface a sine wave at a certain dBfs level should create an output voltage of 1.228 Volts (RMS). That Certain dBfs level on a 192 IO is -18dBfs using trim A, -20dBfs using trim B and I believe it's -15dBfs in a 002/003 (Maybe -14dBfs?). This way... if you are using a mixing console who's line inputs are calibrated for +4dBu = 0 VU, when a signal with a voltage of 1.228 Volts (RMS) comes into the mixer's line input the VU meter will read "0 VU". Then say you send your mix to a 1/2" analog tape machine which is also calibrated for +4dBu=0VU, when your mix bus meters are saying 0 VU, your tape machine meters will be saying 0 VU. And if you simultaneously split your mix to a DAT or CD recorder that is calibrated for +4dBu= [Some number] dBfs (for this example we'll say -18dBfs), when your mix bus on the console says 0VU and the meter on the tape machine says 0VU the meter on the CD player will read -18. And if your PTHD system is using it's factory Calibration of -18dBfs as well... the chain would look like this...

PT -18dBFS (1.228volts) = 0 VU (1.228 volts) on console channel = 0VU (1.228 volts) on Console MixBus = 0VU (1.228 volts) on tape machine = -18dBfs (1.228 volts) in the CD recorder.

The term "weight" of a fader's meters is something I have not heard of before... so I'm not sure how it relates to calibration and reference levels.
Old 01-08-2009, 02:23 PM

Thanks OG, I will check where exactly it is and post tonight.

D
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1