Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 07-23-2021, 07:05 AM

Default Re: I’ve come to the crossroads with protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajazzie View Post
When I say behind the times, it kinda is. Not for the folks I’m guessing like yourself who really have a need for the specific larger projects/ venues/ systems
Certainly pt excels there

But for the garden variety home studio to myself where it’s a living studio, I’m yet to see a seriously stable and snappy system for several years
The playback engine needs a rewrite, it needs a overhaul big time.

My old mix system in my studio B is more stable than the recent years, I can’t comment on 12 as I have only played with it and wasn’t that stoked.

Overall it’s in need of TLC for the smaller users.

If people keep saying how great it is and it’s the industry standard enough then you believe them.

Ide rather believe my eyes and unfortunately it’s hard to ignore. It’s not what it was at a entry/ intermediate level.

It has nothing to do with people saying Pro Tools is the industry standard... It's the fact it meets, and in many ways has created those industry standards. I have been using reaper since 2009. It is great for solo, self directed work, but it is too behind the times to sweep in and overtake pro tools is many parts of the industry. That reality is rooted in its DNA. DAWs like Nuendo and Pro Tools evolved serving the industry, Reaper, while a great DAW in its own right, was created by the same guy who made WinAmp, and subsequently sold it to AOL where his Dad was an exec, for something like $140mill.

Exceptionally talented man. But Reaper was never built with the same perogatives as Pro Tools. That is why, even in 2021, Reaper doesn't have native OMF support. Pretty well the base standard open file transfer format between non linear editors and DAWs since perhaps the mid nineties, Reaper's claim to fame of being highly customisable is the complete antithesis of what makes an DAW industry standard.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.12. OSX 13.2. Win 10. HDN. DAD DX-32R. DADman 5.3.4.2. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Sync HD. Dolby Mastering Suite 3.7.2 via RME HDSPe MADI.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:49 AM

I'm just waiting for Avid to get native on the next silicon MBPs. Could be anywhere from 2022 to 2025 though.

Going to keep chugging away on this 2011 MBP for now
2.3 Ghz Intel Core i7

Noise Buffet
Old 08-29-2021, 08:12 PM

I know when I jumped ship for studio one around 3 years ago, PT couldn’t touch S1 feature set in terms of compositional tools. Not sure where avid is these days, but once you lose someone, its really hard to get them back. Avid and UAD seem to be similar: they really dont seem to care much about customer retention and loyalty. All you can do is vote with your dollars. Support the companies you enjoy.