Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools

Old 07-22-2021, 09:42 PM

Default Could not create a new document because PXF PlugIn is not installed.

Getting this error message when I try to open a project and when I try to create a new project I get this message:

Could not save as "0000" because Assertion in "d:\ ws\ ptf\ release\ 2021\ r2\ protools\ app\ document\ uprojectbundlemgr.cpp", line 1690.

(Use the Copy button to copy this message to the clipboard.).

Anyone know how I can fix this?
Old 07-23-2021, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because PXF PlugIn is not installed.

Not likely as none of us know a single thing about your setup(and I am confused on the fact that this thread title doesn't match your description). With nothing else to go on, I would remove Pro Tools and re-install(assuming the version of Pro Tools you have is compatible with the operating system you have)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-23-2021, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Could not create a new document because PXF PlugIn is not installed.

The title is the error message I get when I try to open a project.

As for my setup I'm using Windows 10 64 bit, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx 2.10 GHz processor, (not sure if this is what you meant by setup but here it is).

I was running a 19.something version of Pro Tools First and getting these error messages so I updated to 21.6 and still getting them.

Question: If I uninstall Pro Tools, will I lose my projects that aren't saved to the cloud?
Old 07-23-2021, 09:54 PM

https://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=300050
Old 07-24-2021, 02:39 AM

Everyone here likes to pretend that if you publish your specs there will suddenly be a magic answer. When you do finally publish your specs to their satisfaction (which isn't usually on the first attempt), you're very unlikely to get a precise answer that goes to the heart of your problem. The only thing I can say is that the Presonus forum is worse - as the answers given are always "I don't have a problem here" or "Update all your drivers and plugins".
Having said that, posting some basic information about whether you are on a Mac or PC, exactly which version of the OS you are using, and exactly what version of PT you are using is genuinely helpful.
(I can see you mostly did that - but the exact version of Windows might be helpful too).

Pro Tools and Pro Tools Ultimate (essentially the same program with different licensing) are finniky and often need some tweaking and coaxing to work properly. Pro Tools First is another beast altogether and is really utterly dreadful. Most of the people here haven't used it, because they started with PT in the 1850's when PT First didn't exist. So you may have a bit more luck posting in the Pro Tools First area of the forum.

The error that you've posted only seems to show up in PT First and my guess is that the installation hasn't worked properly or that you have a plugin on your system which it can't use. It's also possible that you have a problem communicating with the cloud where your songs area stored - it's not very reliable, even if your internet connection is fine.
The "PXF plugin" to which the error refers doesn't show in any manual or any google search, so I'm assuming it's a part of the basic install of PT First which doesn't exist in normal PT. There are other people reporting the same problem, but no answers. You can't get support on PT First, so it's unlikely that there's any way of getting help beyond uninstalling and re-installing.
I can't promise, but the files in the cloud should be ok, even if you uninstall the program on your machine. Normal PT doesn't insist that files are stored in the cloud, so this isn't an issue for PT and PT Ultimate, only for PT First. Your comment is "If I uninstall Pro Tools, will I lose my projects that aren't saved to the cloud?" - just found this - "Be aware with Pro Tools First, these projects are not local in the same sense as a conventional Pro Tools session, Pro Tools projects are stored in locally on your computer in a cache. You will now be able to create an unlimited number of projects, store them in the cache on your computer, and then selectively sync them to the cloud. This way you no longer need to delete your projects simply to make space for a new project because you have exceeded the old 3 Project limit." So there is a danger that the cache will be deleted if you uninstall PT First. Which is odd because uninstall and reinstall is the only way you are meant to upgrade on a Windows machine.......
So, before you uninstall, we need to work out if that is a problem....I'll see what I can find.

Dominic
Old 07-24-2021, 03:23 AM

I can't find out where the cache folder is - but try this first, which may be related...just involves uninstalling and reinstalling XPand2

https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...-cpp-line-1693
Old 07-24-2021, 07:28 AM

Sessions are not affected by removing pro tools. I'm guessing this is a laptop and its quite slow(at 2.1GHz). How much RAM? It may just not be a good computer for pro tools, but Reaper might work well as it is generally easier on the computer requirements(as is Cakewalk by Bandcamp). Both of those programs are very capable(certainly more than PT First).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave