Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools | Intro Discussion

Old 07-25-2021, 11:09 PM

Default Re: No playback sound using Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Jenssen View Post
To correct one of our most trusted contributors here on the forum, Dave, you'll have to do better than that; instrument tracks can't record or contain audio files in any way. Simple as that. They are made to hold VI's and they record midi only.
please forgive my early morning, misinformation blunder. I'm not quite sure what I was thinking there. I hadn't had my coffee yet.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:30 PM

COFFEEEEEEEEE

Back to the Instrument track for a moment, yes they CAN bring in audio, but they cannot record that audio. The purpose is so that you can have midi on an instrument track that "drives" an external sound source(like a midi keyboard or sound module) and have the audio from that hardware come into the session on the same track (an instrument track essentially combines the features of a midi track and an aux track). Always record your guitar to an AUDIO track(same for anything that gets recorded thru a mic or a DI box or DI input)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 07-26-2021, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
COFFEEEEEEEEE

Back to the Instrument track for a moment, yes they CAN bring in audio, but they cannot record that audio. The purpose is so that you can have midi on an instrument track that "drives" an external sound source(like a midi keyboard or sound module) and have the audio from that hardware come into the session on the same track (an instrument track essentially combines the features of a midi track and an aux track). Always record your guitar to an AUDIO track(same for anything that gets recorded thru a mic or a DI box or DI input)
Gee you guys know so much and I found out why I couldn't record a clip and why there was nothing metering before as well. You have to select the little "I" as well as "arm for record" and make sure the mute is off then hit record on the transport bar and it still only arms it for recording then you have to hit the Play button even though both the record and play button are lit up. Oh well my learning has begun thanks so much for everyone's input once again if not for you guys I would still have Pro Tools rage . Yep I think we can close this thread now Cheers "The End Times Band"