Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2007, 04:25 PM

Default Midi Sync issues

My setup:

Macbook 10.4.10
M-Audio 1814
Pro tools M-Powered 7.3

Akai MPC 2000XL

THE DEAL:
I am having a problem with synching my mpc2000xl with my pro tools mpowered rig. I have everything set up correctly, MIDI out of Firewire 1814 ->MIDI in of MPC, SYNC is set to on, yadda yadda yadda. I can control my MPC with protools just fine...its just that the timing is slightly off. I am not talking about a delay in the beginning of recording or anything like that, its like pro tools is not copying my EXACT sequence. its like everything is a little "off", timing wise. I used to use Logic 5.0 for tracking everything out and I had no problems. But it seems like pro tools is giving my beats a different "swing", not copying my exact sequence. Has anybody else experienced this?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Re: Midi Sync issues

Are you using MIDI beat clock or MTC for sync?
Access Virus TI Polar :: M-Audio Profire 2626 :: UAD-2 Duo :: UAD-1
Old 10-07-2007, 03:03 PM

I have the same problem - Midi Beat Clock for synth. If I have a click running, the resulted same triggered and recorded piece is out of time with the click, there is a slight delay which I attribute either to a late triggering of the Akai MPC2000 sampler or a latency issue. Of course all recorded parts must conform to the grid so the only way i have found around this issue (is the highly tedious and inaccurate task of manually chopping off a little bit of the start each part as it's recorded and dragging the whole of that part to the first beat, then extending the end of the part to compensate for the bit at the beginning that is missing. This is of course not an accurate way to work and requires a lot of work. For me this horrible timing issue destroys the creative process because it is just not possible to quickly record parts into pro tools from the Akai MPC2000 - each part is out of time because of this little delay. I would appreciate it if anyone knows a fix for this, a way to record parts into pro tools with no delay on the start of each one. It's not monitoring latency that I am concerned about, the latency or delay is on the recorded part, it's out of time with the click when it's in pro tools no matter how tight it was sequenced in the Akai MPC2000 sampler. Many Thanks
Old 10-07-2007, 04:25 PM

Hey I fixed it!

I have two Midi Beat Clock output devices on my system, I switched the output from my Projectmix to my Novation Remote SL and everything went into time. Via the projectmix it was 'wandering' during a sequence, the time was going in and out and now using the remote SL to output Midi Beat Clock it all triggers immediately (of course there is a monitoring latencey but this does not bother me) and records everything in perfect time from the first beat.

The Projectmix must just be crap at triggering and keeping Midi Beat Clock in time. Try another device to output Midi - it might just work.