Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12

Old 03-13-2017, 02:02 PM

Default Imported audio not moving into audio folder

Anyone else having this issue? I import audio (drums, tuned vocals etc) into an existing session; I check the Disk Allocation and the new audio appears to be in the proper audio folder in the proper session. I work and close the session. I reopen the session and the imported audio was never moved into the audio folder EVEN THOUGH it showed as having done so. PT points to wherever the audio originally came from. Happens to me all the time in 12.
Old 03-13-2017, 02:53 PM

Default Re: Imported audio not moving into audio folder

Did you make sure you selected "copy" instead of "Add" when importing the new audio? If "Add," then the session will of course refer to the original audio.

Also, did you import the audio within the session or copy it from the desktop? If the audio was copied and has the same unique identifier, then the session will see the audio from wherever it finds it first, which would usually be the "Audio Files" folder in the session, but could be from the original folder. I have been burned by this more than once when changes have been made to file copies in destructive record mode, and the original files were found and put into the session.

Try renaming your original files folder (Original, Source, etc) and see if that solves the issue.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:07 PM

3 things:
1-open preferences and find the option to "automatically Copy audio on Import"
2-cover your ASSets by cheating for when the above doesn't work(and I meant "when" and not "if"). Find the audio you wish to import and copy it into the session folder for the destination session and import from the new location(or even copy directly into the Audio Files folder before you import into the session).
3-once you have done as you have been doing, go to File>save session Copy, check the box to copy all audio and save(now you have 2 versions of the session, but at least the "Copy of" version will actually have all the audio in it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-13-2017, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trakbytes View Post
Did you make sure you selected "copy" instead of "Add" when importing the new audio? If "Add," then the session will of course refer to the original audio.
This ^
Old 03-14-2017, 03:04 AM

Not sure if it's the same issue. But this has been happening to me for a while. Even when 'automatically copy files on import' box is checked in preferences it does not copy it over. The work around seem to be dragging audio in from work space browser, then it would copy it. There seems to be a problem with the import dialogue box not copying to audio folder. Had this problem since version 11. I just copy manually now.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:05 AM

Same here.

Jesper
Old 11-25-2017, 02:33 PM

I'm having the same problem in 12.8.1 HD.
Sometimes the imported files are added. Sometimes not.
Now when the work is approved, I export selected tracks as new session. Including the audio and video (if any)
Focusrite Clarett+2
JBL LSR-305
Auratone SSC 5C
Soundminer v5 Pro
Old 11-26-2017, 12:31 AM

Something has definitely changed recently and one has to be very careful when importing files from other sessions or OMF/AAF.
Another example. Starting a new session from a template provided by another studio that has media. In the new session it’s still pointing to the original audio files folder. If you copy/Re link it tells you the files already exist in your new audio files folder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.spoonsound.com
Old 11-26-2017, 02:02 AM

Try albee 1952's suggestion in prefs. But I've also noticed erratic behaviour occasionally. Once in a blue moon, I open a session, and even though all the audio is in the session folder's Audio files, PT reports missing files, and cannot relink them. I have to do that manually.
Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 AM

Something I have been seeing a lot lately, is that the audio file actually IS in the audio files folder. but for some reason, PT doesn't want to look there first, and the session is linked to the original file's location and it shows up as "missing" when you open the session on a different system.

Have you tried the "Manually find and relink" option? I very often get sessions from people where files don't link. if I manually find and relink, then point the relink window to the audio files folder and search for files there (I usually do name only, without the unique identifier) then it finds all the files there and you can relink them.

Not sure why this happens so much since moving up to 12. Happened very rarely when using PT 10, but something obviously changed, and it now happens pretty regularly.