Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 09-09-2009, 05:57 AM

Default MIDI - Drum mapping

Sorry people if I'm another novice asking an old question...
Is there a way to map/remap drums using midi. I mean, I need to see in the midi editor drum kit names instead of the keyboard. Is that possible? TNX!
Old 09-09-2009, 01:03 PM

Default Re: MIDI - Drum mapping

I don't know of a way to do this, but almost all keyboard drum maps have the same location for similar drums. If you work with it for a while, you will just know that this key is kicks, these keys are snares and so forth. I've gotten used to it so I can just walk up to just about any keyboard and start banging away on drums.

But I'd be interested in a solution like the one you are looking for...
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 09-09-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giove View Post
Sorry people if I'm another novice asking an old question...
Is there a way to map/remap drums using midi. I mean, I need to see in the midi editor drum kit names instead of the keyboard. Is that possible? TNX!
remaping typically means that your controller is sending a specific note (maybe C3) but your synth plays the sound you want on a different note (Maybe C4) so you want the software to make the switch at some level..

You also seem to be asking about something like a dedicated drum editor for PT, where you don't see the MIDI note value but the drum it is assigned to...

So what specifically are you trying to do??
Old 09-15-2009, 01:05 PM

Tnx 4 replying. I think you got my point.
I'm working at home, with roland td3 and some kind of custom V-Drum. I used to work in Nuendo with Battery, EZDrummer, BFD and so on. I also edit a lot the midi parts, so having a more user friendly interface will be a great help.
I know the way to work it out whit what I have, but some kind of midi drum editor... mmm... nice!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giove View Post
Tnx 4 replying. I think you got my point.
I'm working at home, with roland td3 and some kind of custom V-Drum. I used to work in Nuendo with Battery, EZDrummer, BFD and so on. I also edit a lot the midi parts, so having a more user friendly interface will be a great help.
I know the way to work it out whit what I have, but some kind of midi drum editor... mmm... nice!
Since ProTools doesn't have a dedicated drum editor, what you can do is take the MIDI track that you record and explode it out into single MIDI tracks per MIDI note. It can give you some advantages when editing etc. (easy to just quantize the hats, for example) and you can at least name the MIDI tracks to what they are controlling.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
Since ProTools doesn't have a dedicated drum editor, what you can do is take the MIDI track that you record and explode it out into single MIDI tracks per MIDI note. It can give you some advantages when editing etc. (easy to just quantize the hats, for example) and you can at least name the MIDI tracks to what they are controlling.
The only problem is it's a pain to edit velocities.
Old 09-15-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erthquake View Post
The only problem is it's a pain to edit velocities.
Why so?

Do you mean changing the velocities of more than one drum type at a time?
Old 09-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flommer View Post
I'm all about this method. It sure makes things a bit easier. Anytime I'm doing midi drums, I have a different midi track for Kick, Snare, Hat, Toms, and Cymbals. I find the velocity editing to be a bit nicer when you do this. True, you can't edit all the drums velocity's all on one track, but I find that separating each track allows me to give that Drum's velocity my best attention. I now go through one drum at a time editing velocity, even though it takes longer. I just feel like I end up with something that works with the song a bit better.

Just my 2 cents.
PCAudioLabs 2.5GHz Quad-Core Q8300 FSB:1333/1066MHz, NB:IntelG33, SB:Intel ICH9DH/WinXP Pro SP3 / SATA HD's = 160GB(7200/8), 320GB (7200/16) x 2,500GB (7200/32) / 4GB DDR2-800 / FW = TI ChipSet / Gear: Apogee Rosetta800, ADL600, Avalon2022 // M-Audio = Profire Lightbridge, Octane 8's, BX5's BX8's & SBX // ProTools MP 8.0.5 w/ MPTK 2 - Velvet Waves Sonnox IK NI FXpansion Massy -- DVerb2.0 Test = 230 verbs
Old 09-15-2009, 07:11 PM

"you can't edit all the drums velocity's all on one trac"

Not exactly accurate unless I am not understanding you. I just expand the instrument track (open the lane showing velocity) and make it a reasonable height and I can grab any velocity value and drag it up/down all day long. Also, by using the proper select tool, you can draw a box around any group of notes, including something like all one note(snare or hat for example) and then drag the velocity up/down for all the selected(highlighted) notes. There's really a lot that can be done, its just not intuitive for many of us that are steeped in audio, but not so well-versed in midi.

9000 posts!!! I gotta get a life.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 09-15-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
"you can't edit all the drums velocity's all on one trac"

Not exactly accurate unless I am not understanding you. I just expand the instrument track (open the lane showing velocity) and make it a reasonable height and I can grab any velocity value and drag it up/down all day long. Also, by using the proper select tool, you can draw a box around any group of notes, including something like all one note(snare or hat for example) and then drag the velocity up/down for all the selected(highlighted) notes. There's really a lot that can be done, its just not intuitive for many of us that are steeped in audio, but not so well-versed in midi.

9000 posts!!! I gotta get a life.....
He was talking in the context of having the drums split out to individual MIDI tracks. As anything, it is a compromise. Until Digi includes a Drum Track type..