Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2011, 11:38 AM

Default Pro Tools crashes with Finder transfer

Hi everyone,

I'm currently running Pro Tools HD 8.0.1 on a Mac Pro 8 core and for some reason when myself or my boss is in a session and PT is not closed/quit and we're trying to pull in some data from our server (Apple Xserve), Pro Tools crashes. Then when we force quit and try to launch it again, the Mac Pro reboots itself! I know this isn't normal as we've got a duplicate rig set up in another location and it works just fine, as Finder should. It's been a real pain and I need to figure out what to do! My first thought was to reinstall the OS, so if you think that's a good idea please let me know!! Should I instead reinstall PT??

Also, I've read other threads on here talking about finder issues but that has to do with saving, creating new folders, etc. and I'm wondering if anybody else who's had that problem could chime in about what they might have done to fix it (I'm betting they're related).

I would really sincerely appreciate any insight y'all might have! I know there are a ton of bright people on here and I'd love to get this problem fixed ASAP.

Thanks so much,
Arata
Old 12-15-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes with Finder transfer

Doubt it has anything to do with OSX
Since it only crashes if pro tools is open as you said

Clone the drive from the other computer to a external drive and boot to that
See what happens

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
http://www.studio-techservices.com

าำ
[email protected]m
Mitch Berger Tech Services

We service ALL Avid products no Problem
HD192, 192, Omni, Control Surface, Pre, XMON, 192HD AD & DA / Accel Cards, Everything

ALL NEW HD192 AD -DA modification. the difference is incredible... no need to ship the entire unit , fast turn around

inquiry using link above
Repairs of SSL-Neve- Consoles and Repair ALL Modern & Vintage Gear
Old 12-15-2011, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools crashes with Finder transfer

Quote:
Clone the drive from the other computer to a external drive and boot to that
See what happens
Well when you say that it sounds like it might be an operating system problem, since that's what you want me to replace, right? So I should try to boot to a different Mac OS X install (from my other working PT system) and see what happens when Pro Tools is launched that way (on the messed up computer)? Wouldn't reinstalling the OS on the same system do the same thing or am I mistaken?

Thanks for the repsonse!!