Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Default Re: recording guitar directly into 96io?

Yes, it has a line out. You would need a female XLR to 1/4 TRS cable to go to your 96io, which you probably already have.

You can also get the box by itself. It's recently gone up in price to $120 from $90. But guitarcenter.com still has it for $90:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Waves-PR...esid=waves+prs

On the other hand, for $200, you might like getting the package with the GTR software.

One thing to keep in mind, it's powered by either batteries (2 9volts) or AC adapter. But it doesn't come with an AC adapter, and Waves doesn't make one for it. Instead, they give the specs needed for it, and recommend that you buy a generic one that meets those specs. I've seen a couple on B and H photo that were about $5. I don't know if that would be an inconvenience or not.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvettone View Post
I think you're starting to confuse the issue. The Waves/PRS product that you pointed to IS a DI with a built-in preamp. And a mighty cheap one at that.

If you are trying to get a "more dry signal", I don't think that Waves/PRS box will be nearly as good as the Avalon that you already own. In my opinion, and through my experiences using them, they simply are not in that class, and you'll be taking a step in the other direction. On the other hand, it would be a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better solution than trying to plug the guitar directly into the 96i/o.

Converting a guitar to line level requires amplification to do so. To my knowledge, there's no such thing as a passive amplifier. (Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong)

Even the Waves/PRS box has a built-in active amplifier to accomplish this. And at that price point, I'm pretty positive that the DI portion is also not passive.
i actually think u might be a little confused... for one i dont go plugging things into inputs unless i know its kosher to do so u dont have to worry about me pluging my guitar into the line in of my 96io i was merely trying to understand what the manual was saying when they said it accepts balanced and unbalanced signal... secondly i know the prs is a DI box but it is unique in that it outputs line level which is what ive been asking about the whole time... maybe if u werent such a self centered {blank} u could properly understand the question i was asking in the first place... so like ive been trying to explain i would like to enter PT as dry as possible then use the avalon as an insert... thanks but no thanks for the bad advice velvettone its about as useless as ur ego
Old 12-11-2011, 08:37 PM

NST thanks alot i think the prs box would be good for me atleast then i would have the option to use the prs box or use the avalon and i seem to remember the gtr effects werent half bad... i see ur in my city maybe we should collaborate sum time if u want... thanks for the help
Old 12-13-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nerd513 View Post
i was using an 002rack... but one thing i cant stand is some of these trolls bashing my post if u dont wanna answer the question thats cool... i dont really need recording tips and smart comments...
It seems like you actually DO need recording tips, considering that's exactly what you're asking for.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejwells View Post
It seems like you actually DO need recording tips, considering that's exactly what you're asking for.
no i wasnt asking for recording tips at all... i was asking about well.... ill just let u read for yourself and if u still cant figure it out then cheers to u... especially since ur one of the trolls im speaking of, a notorious one at that
Old 12-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Sorry, I mistook a "how do I" thread as a request for tips.
As to me being a "notorious troll," I'd say that's probably your sole opinion, which you're certainly entitled to.
My description of a "notorious troll" is someone like that guy that always chimes in on the HD Native threads, talking about what crap it is, even though he has no experience with it. Ring any bells?
Old 12-13-2011, 05:20 PM

Nerd513, time to bury the hatchet, and please, no more HD|Native commentary.

I have the PRS/GTR box and it has both line and mic outputs and works just fine. I also use the DI's on a Focusrite ISA 430 MKII (really great for bass), a GR MP2NV, a first generation Octopre, and an Omni HD. The best DI for guitar in my book is the GR MP2NV.

But, I really don't think you will be disapointed with the low cost PRS/GTR box. It does a great job of impedance matching and doesn't color the sound much. Worth a try. If you don't like it, send it back.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 12-13-2011, 06:18 PM

thanks greg im pretty sure im gonna go with the waves DI i wanted the amp effects anyway so its really a no brainer... atleast that way i will the option of using the avalon or just going simple with the waves box thanks for the input